Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2009   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Cherry

We had a big Tstorm last night. This morning, out inspecting for damage, I spied a Blk Cherry thisclose to being ready. Blushing and big. I wanted to pick it right away and bring it in to ripen. That's how I've always picked my maters. This year, I am trying to leave them on the vine until ripe to see if it makes a difference in taste.
I may have to cave in!
It's just a little smaller than a golf ball. Not what I'd expect from a cherry tomato but I'll take it. Now how thin you reckon I'd have to slice that baby to make a BLT???
Old June 26, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I guess you need to get yourself some of that small diameter cocktail bread - mini BLTs! Get a good sharp knife - you can do it!
Old June 26, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
We had a big Tstorm last night. This morning, out inspecting for damage, I spied a Blk Cherry thisclose to being ready. Blushing and big. I wanted to pick it right away and bring it in to ripen. That's how I've always picked my maters. This year, I am trying to leave them on the vine until ripe to see if it makes a difference in taste.
I may have to cave in!
It's just a little smaller than a golf ball. Not what I'd expect from a cherry tomato but I'll take it. Now how thin you reckon I'd have to slice that baby to make a BLT???
Just a little smaller than a golf ball and not what you'd expect from a cherry?

Do you mean you think it's too big or too small.

I grow black cherry almost every year and have never had any fruits as big as "almost" golf ball size.
Old June 26, 2009   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, when I grew it the one year, it was fairly small - nowhere near golf-ball sized. That sounds more like my Purple Haze grow-out this year.
Old June 26, 2009   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Barbee they are supposed to be about the diameter of a nickel and that is way smaller than a golf ball.

Sounds like what you have may be a black ping pong and I have never heard of one.

Size of a nickel.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #6
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

def. need to post pics of that - here is a box of unripe black cherries (with a couple unripe unidentified fruits) from last season:

none near the size of a golf ball

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I took a photo. Granted, I don't golf, but we are always finding golf balls out in the field, so I happened to have one handy. Seems to me just a bit smaller than a golf ball....or maybe wishful thinking on my part LoL
Anyway, not what I'd expect from a cherry, meaning on the large side
Old June 26, 2009   #8
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Barbee, I get lots that are that size. Is that in a pot, 'cause mine never ripen until August in the ground?
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #9
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Barbee: Mine have gotten that big too and I agree they are close to golf ball size...stick to you guns! (By the way, that looks like one of those oversize golf balls we have here too....)
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #10
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Bark,
Yep..this is growing in a big ole pot on the deck. I planted it let's see....April 25. It's growing in an old tomato success kit I got several years ago from Gardener's Supply. I planted it really early for my area and wrapped the cage with burlap to keep the cold wind off it. It's a monster plant. Probably has outgrown the cage by 2 feet. It's loaded with tomatoes.
Old June 26, 2009   #11
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I am growing one called Honkin' Big Black Cherry; the seeds came from Underwood's and I think the fruit should be about the size of a golf ball; I have grown Black Cherry and it has not been golf ball size for me.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
I am growing one called Honkin' Big Black Cherry; the seeds came from Underwood's and I think the fruit should be about the size of a golf ball; I have grown Black Cherry and it has not been golf ball size for me.
Greg, why in heavens name would Mayo Underwood change the name of a variety and offer it commercially?

I hate to see that, I really do. If it's supposed to be larger, sure, it may have been larger in someones garden one year or so but it's the genes of the variety that primarily control the size of fruits.

One year I grew the variety Dr. Carolyn Pink for seed production and it was a wet summer and the size of those fruits were at least double of what they should be. But saved seed subsequently grown in a non-wet summer gave normal size fruits for the variety.

That same year I had a 3# Red Barn fruit which is not normal and another variety that grew fruits way too big for the variety b;c is too was stuffed with water.
Old June 26, 2009   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Well, it has definitely been a wet year here in SW Ohio. And maybe that's why these cherry tomatoes are so big. But it just seems odd to have a cherry tomato be this size. One truss has 6 maters all lined up 3 to a side and all that big. I hope they taste as good as I'm expecting LoL
Old June 26, 2009   #14
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Black Cherry is always close to golf ball size for me. I got the seeds from a very trustworthy source (TGS) so I'm fairly certain that it really is Black Cherry that I am growing. The first year I grew it, I was surprised that the fruits were so much larger than my other cherries.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #15
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

TGS is where my seed came from, too. Maybe it's just me but most of the cherries I have grown in the past are much smaller. This one might be a 2 biter LoL