Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2017   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default Infiniti QX 50

The RAV4 we have been driving for several years (7) has about 80,000 miles. As I age, I need some more safety stuff like alarms to tell me I am drifting out of the lane, like automatic slow down because there is a car in front of me and I'm too close for comfort, like cameras to let me know some idiot is in the lane I want to be in (or this idiot [me] is changing lanes so get out of my way), etc., etc.

Mostly I drive a big old pick-up and people give me a wide berth. My wife mostly drives the RAV. But on longer trips I drive. She likes the small SUV, I like the power of the 6 cylinder which Toyota has dropped.

My research shows that compact SUVs generally come with a wimpy engine. The auto companies must think anybody driving a compact is more worried about in town driving and gas milage. Those feeble power plants are not made for highway driving. I hate for the motor to be continually shifting up and down on every small hill. POWER, I need POWER! My wife likes the size so she feels comfortable behind the wheel.

We had a Highlander, with plenty of POWER, but it was too big, so back to a RAV4. I am looking at the InfinitiQX50. Small size with a big 6 cylinder and almost 300hp.

Anybody out there have one? And what do you think? Any other choices for a compact SUV with more than 180 hp? Not tomatoes, but pretty close.
Old February 20, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if this is small enough for you, but we need an SUV with a lot of cargo space for hauling a lot of junk.

We have a Ford Edge which has all the bells, whistles and back-up cameras. It let's you know when you are straying from your lane, or when you don't bother to indicate before crossing a line. When you have strayed out of your lane too many times, it beeps and a LED with a picture of a cup of coffee comes up. Why they can't simply MAKE a cup of coffee, I don't know {LOL}.

It only has 4 cylinders, but has a turbo. Hubby was hesitant about it as he had an Edge with the 6 cylinder engine before, but the sales lady insisted that he try the 4 cylinder one because she loved it. He was impressed - and bought it. It also comes with FWD.

We take a couple of long trips every year, and we share the driving. The stay-in-lane feature is interesting and will gently guide you back into the lane!!!! The feature can be turned off for those who don't like it (or don't want hubby to know that they aren't paying enough attention to their driving!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #3
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

from Edmunds (I am looking for the same type of vehicle).
link and excerpt...
https://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/qx50/2017/suv/review/
Originally known as the EX35, the Infiniti QX50 was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2008. Here was a vehicle that offered the raised ride height and all-wheel drive of an SUV but with smaller, more manageable proportions and a lower price tag than more traditional SUVs. These days, most luxury automakers have followed Infiniti's lead and joined the small luxury crossover bandwagon. The issue you might find, though, is that the 2017 Infiniti QX50 is still a lot like that 2008 EX35.
On the upside, the QX50 boasts a sharp driving experience more like a sport sedan than a small utility vehicle. That includes a standard V6 engine that pumps out massively more power than anything in its price range. Though that V6 might be powerful, it's also far thirstier than the turbocharged four-cylinder engines in rival crossovers. The QX50 also suffers from a small cargo area, a ride height that isn't really all that elevated and Infiniti's older infotainment interface. The way Infiniti structures the QX50's all-or-nothing options packages is another possible turnoff, at least for new-vehicle shoppers.
In our opinion, it's probably best to focus on the 2017 QX50's rivals, including the well-rounded BMW X1, the value-rich and spacious Acura RDX, and the well-made, distinctive Lexus NX 200t. They deliver a better mix of size, price and performance than this aging, onetime-trendsetting Infiniti.
Old February 20, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Turbo was popular in the 1990's for sports cars. I think it's very cool technology, and I owned a couple turbo'd cars. Now that turbo is back in style, it makes me wonder if they have solved the problem of turbos burning out at about 80K miles, which is what happened to all the 90's sports cars with turbo.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #5
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
POWER, I need POWER!
Get a Hellcat.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

BMW X3 should provide ample power, although the Japanese do luxury vehicles quite nicely.

Outlander/Forester/Outback with the V6 could also give you enough power, for a lot less money, and most of those have the Geritol-complete bells and whistles package.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The Forester is another we have been looking at. Or just keep the RAV and be carefuller.
Old February 20, 2017   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I was looking for a small economical AWD vehicle to replace my Honda Civic for the Winter. My criteria was good gas mileage. I eventually ended up with the Subaru Crosstrek and don't regret it. It has all the lane assist bells and whistles, backup camera, blind spot detection, heated mirrors and seats, etc...
My Civic gets 44 mpg on a long highway trip, but only 28 around town (lots of hills). The Crosstrek gets 28 around town, haven't taken it on a long road trip yet, but I bet it will get 32-34mpg. I'll probably still use the Civic for long trips though.
Power? The Crosstrek has plenty for cruising and general driving. If I want to burn up the road then I get in my 370Z convertible. I also have a Nissan Pathfinder that has nearly the identical engine as the Z, but only gets 20 mpg. Power equals sacrifice on mileage and usually adds to the sticker price as well. My Dodge 4x4 pickup only gets 14 mpg, but I only use it for trips to the lumber yard, etc.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #9
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

It looks like the Outback has the 6 cylinder and the Forester has a 4 cylinder turbo. I don't mind the Outback, just would like to have the 6 in the Forester which looks better to me. The Crosstrek looks more like a sedan than an SUV and only has the 4.

We are a one car, one pickup family, so a cruiser is not in the picture. I will sacrifice milage for a more relaxing ride without transmission shifts on every hill. I want it all: small sized SUV with a big engine, safety features and comfort.
Old February 20, 2017   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I was looking for a small economical AWD vehicle to replace my Honda Civic for the Winter. My criteria was good gas mileage. I eventually ended up with the Subaru Crosstrek and don't regret it. It has all the lane assist bells and whistles, backup camera, blind spot detection, heated mirrors and seats, etc...
My Civic gets 44 mpg on a long highway trip, but only 28 around town (lots of hills). The Crosstrek gets 28 around town, haven't taken it on a long road trip yet, but I bet it will get 32-34mpg. I'll probably still use the Civic for long trips though.
Power? The Crosstrek has plenty for cruising and general driving. If I want to burn up the road then I get in my 370Z convertible. I also have a Nissan Pathfinder that has nearly the identical engine as the Z, but only gets 20 mpg. Power equals sacrifice on mileage and usually adds to the sticker price as well. My Dodge 4x4 pickup only gets 14 mpg, but I only use it for trips to the lumber yard, etc.

I went with an Impreza because the Crosstrek had just come out when we needed a new vehicle. Had we known it was essentially the same vehicle as the Impreza but with more ground clearance, we might have stretched the budget a bit for it. But personally, I feel more comfortable in a smaller vehicle -- I prefer maneuverability over mass. And for now, the less technology the better.

My husband had an older Nissan "Gasfinder" that barely got 14 city. His current Toyota 4Runner gets about 20 mpg. Thankfully he gets to take his company vehicle home so the 4Runner is only driven a couple of times a week.

We always refer to Infinitis as "over priced Nissans" so if cost were a concern, the Nissan line would be an option.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I love my Subaru Crosstrek, but mine didn't come with the geritol-complete bells and whistles package (too funny Gerardo). I did get the backup camera and heated seats though!

It also annoys me no end that the GPS insists that I press the "agree" button every time I start the stoopid vehicle!

It's a great dog car though

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; February 20, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #12
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Check if it has a CVT transmission. If it does I wouldnt touch it.
Mrs Nematode has a qx60, needed a transmission at 30k miles.
Had to replace a "broken part" in the transmission at 40k miles.
Reprogrammed it 3 times. Finally extended the transmission warranty because of the trouble.
Oh we had a loaner for 3 weeks because the dealer couldnt even get a transmission to put in it when it was broke.
Other than that she loves it.
Fx35 before this one went 250k miles, burned more oil than gas at the end, Nematode Jr took it to college and a wheel fell off going 85. Thank god nobody got hurt.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Wife has been driving one a 2014,bought in feb 2015She loves it,she has to park in a garage everyday,real small spaces.The rounded profile allows a good sight line for her.A blazer she had was a "box".Small compact,no kids now.The 3.7 is fast and responsive.Good steering wheel controls for communications,radio Btooth.Lot of plug and play jacks in back.Most controls are voice actuated if you take the time to learn them.Tranny has all the bells and whistles.Have not tested in snow or mountains yet.We live in Florida.
Old February 22, 2017   #14
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I bought a Mercedes Benz GLA250 in December. Gets around 30 mpg and has enough power to snap your head. I had a Forester previously.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl.../model-GLA250W

MikeInCypress