Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 14, 2013   #1
GoNitro
Tomatovillian™

Default Pasture Seed Source

I'm looking for a source for Pasture seeds. I had been saving my own seed for several years to start a few plants. I didn't save any seed from my 2012 garden knowing I had some from my 2011 garden. Now I cannot locate that seed anywhere. I also cannot find anyone selling this variety. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Robin
GoNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

If you don't find them elsewhere, I have some seed that are about 7 or 8 years old. They should still be viable. I have them on my list to grow out this year.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Pasture

I really should fill in the history for this one.

Pasture was bred by Joe Bratka's father along with Mule Team, Box Car Wille, Great Divide, and Red Barn.

Joe found the seeds in glass jars in a toolshed with their names but couldn't germinate them so sent them to me to try. I was able to wake up the ones above but there were three others that I couldn't wake up.

So I know Pasture well. It's a VERY robust indet that does almost better than kudzu vine in covering outhouses in the south, so it's been suggested, ahem, with red cherries that are just, regular cherries, nothing special.

I too have old seeds somewhere, but let Darrel help you if he can since I'd have to do a huge search to find them, which isn't easy for me using a walker as I do, but more to the point I'm in the middle of a very large seed offer here at Tville right now that's taking all of my time.

I know many know and like Box Car and Mule Team but I think the best one, and overlooked, is Red Barn.

Carolyn
Old January 14, 2013   #4
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Pasture

I know I have some but I need to check the age of them. I'll get back to you with a PM in the morning.
Neil G.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013   #5
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Robin.
I have some from 2006 or 2007. They should germinate. Send me your address in a PM and I'll send them over.

MikeInCypress
Old January 15, 2013   #6
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

I know many know and like Box Car and Mule Team but I think the best one, and overlooked, is Red Barn.

Carolyn
Grew Red Barn last year for the first time...loved it!!! Great plant with huge flavorful tomatoes.
Old January 15, 2013   #7
GoNitro
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I already grow Mule Team and love it. I need a source for Red Barn, it is on my "want to try list". I love Pasture. I always grow one by my chicken coop for the chickens to free feed off of. The goats love it as well!
GoNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNitro View Post
Carolyn,
I already grow Mule Team and love it. I need a source for Red Barn, it is on my "want to try list". I love Pasture. I always grow one by my chicken coop for the chickens to free feed off of. The goats love it as well!
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Red_Barn

Tania lists three sources for Red Barn for 2013 and to that you can also add Sandhill Preservation. Not all seed sites have yet updated for 2013 so Tania can add them. The Sandhill 2013 catalog is out but I don't know if the website is.

Or you can go to the Wanted subforum of the seed exchange and see if anyone has it.

Again, I have quite old seeds but this is no time for me to go searching with all the time I have to spend with my seed offer here.

Since you only joined last month, of you haven't read me say it before, I needed two hips replaced, which is why I had to retire early. I fell before the first one could be done and severed all 4 quads in my right leg, 3/4 returned to function, but the right leg is unstable so I've had to use a walker since then.

And the summer of 2004 was the last time I grew my normal hundreds of plants and varieties so I decided then that I'd try to find varieties that would be new to ALL or most and offer them in my annual seed offer. So I give priority to them rather than growing out older ones for seed stock as I used to do whenI was listing hundreds of varieties in the SSE Yearbooks.

I still try to grow plants here each season, but someone else has to take care of them and also all of my other perennial gardens, etc. My plants are raised by Craig LeHoullier ( nctomatoman) and we've known each other for now about 24 years.

To date I've grown over 3,000 varieties but now several others also do my seed production for me.

Just noting that if you want to find commercial seed sources Tania's superb website is THE place to go

Carolyn