Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 23, 2012   #1
robertoccm
Tomatovillian™

Default GROW LIGHTS?

Lamp Shape T8
Base Type Medium Bi-Pin (G13)
Length 24"
Diameter 1"
Watts 17
Average Life 24,000 hr.
Lamp Tone Cool
Color Temp. 4100K
CRI 85
Start Type Rapid
Initial Lumens 1400
Mean Lumens 1280
Primary Application General Purpose
Lamp Designation F17T8

Is this useful to grow seedlings? How many inches above the seedlings must this bulbs be? How many hours should it be turned on?
robertoccm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2012   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

There's a lot of threads with discussions of different lighting for growing plants and for starting seedlings. A simple search for "Grow Lights" will yield a bunch.

I start about 300 or more tomato seedlings each year. I use T-12 fixtures with 6500K daylight bulbs. If you're only doing a few plants, then T-8 or smaller will be fine. Some folks here say they use the cooler bulbs and get great results. Some folks have used large expensive halogen and mercury vapor lights and gotten mixed results.

The lights you list above are adequate and should be kept as close to the top of the plants as possible. Most folks try to position them within an inch or so of the seedling's foliage. As the seedlings grow, either the plants or the lights need to be repositioned so that the plants don't touch the lights.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2012   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

For starting tomato seedlings, you really shouldn't have to spend more than $35 for a 4' fixture and 2 bulbs. I'd look at Home Depot or Lowe's. The Walmart fixture won't last.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2012   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Those are the same tubes we have in our 4 tube ceiling fixtures at work. Depending on how many seedlings you are going to grow will determine the illuminated area and how many tubes you will need. 4100K will work fine. Ami
Old November 30, 2012   #5
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I'm a retired optical engineer, and put significant effort into evaluating various lighting systems. Plants require different light for different stages of growth. Foliage needs green and flowering and fruiting requires red. The optimum affordable color temperature for seedlings ad growing plants for outside planting is about 5500k to 6500k. http://imageshack.us/a/img18/173/temperaturee.jpg

Here's a spectral curve of 6500k CFL bulb compared to the PAR requirements of a tomato plant. http://imageshack.us/a/img560/3693/daylightcflcurve.jpg

If you are flowering or growing fruit inside, then you need to add some red or warm white Florescent light. Here's the spectral curve of a warm white CFL compared to PAR.

Some of the commercial growlights put out some heavy-duty lumens. The real problem is that most of the lumens are at a wavelength that the plant doesn't use. I bought 500w growlights before I figured out that florescent 200w Daylight Bulbs would put more usable light on the plants. http://imageshack.us/a/img695/6125/267eh.jpg

Hotwired
http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdfs.html
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013   #6
coinshooter
Tomatovillian™

Default grow lights

can you use them spring bulbs
coinshooter is offline   Reply With Quote