Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2015   #1
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Default what is your most intensely-flavored tomato?

I am all about intense flavor!

My favorites are Brandywine Sudduth's, Sun Gold, Black Cherry, and a new family heirloom pink oxheart I just discovered this year. And a secret new mutant purple that I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak of this summer and will be debuted by Claud aka SaltMarsh soon (more flavorful than Cherokee Purple!).

Also liked Nepal, Green Zebra, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, and Cherokee Lime this year but they didn't knock my socks off.

Disappointed by Brandywine Glick's, Stump of the World, Carbon, Dancing w/ Smurfs, Purple Bumblebee, Isis Candy, Coyote -- all a bit bland for me.

What am I missing? What's your most intense/flavorful tomato beyond the ones I mentioned??

Jen
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #2
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

So far for me, the most intense flavor is Dester.
Cuostralee has a great flavor; not sure intense best defines it.
It has a base tomato flavor and then something else that makes it more complex than that.
Speckled Roman also has a great sweet flavor; unlike any "paste" tomato I've ever tasted.
I'd put it up against any fresh eating tomato.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I thought BW Glick's was blandish too, certainly not like my Sudduth's or Cowlick's, Liam's is much better also.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

kerns125, we have some favourites in common, although Isis Candy was also very richly flavoured for me. I think besides the variety there is some variation that depends on your conditions - not sure what your climate is like.

Some other intense fruit you didn't mention: Indian Stripe, Eva Purple Ball, Pale Perfect Purple, Galinas Yellow, even Vorlon was quite good too. In the reds I like Napoli Fiaschetto, Alaska the best but Moravsky Div is doing it for me in the cold.

Eva Purple Ball and Pale Perfect Purple produced late and very scanty fruit for me here, so although they were delicious the taste overall was a little bit bitter...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #5
naseer
Tomatovillian™

Pink Berkeley Tie Dye edged out our perennial favorite Cherokee Purple this year both in taste (just barely) and production. Very happy to have tried out this variety this year.
naseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

There are several intense flavored tomatoes but the one that puts all others to shame for me is Costoluto Genovese. I grow it to make sauce. For slicing, Druzba and Andrew Rahart Jumbo Red are fairly intense.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about the OP's weather, but this has been a very wet year for much of the US, outside of the west coast. I have had record rainfall, and flavor has been watered-down with everything.

I'm not sure what you mean by intense. My Gribovsky saladette had the most acid bite. Orange Russian 117 and Northern Lights were the sweetest. Pink Rose was my favorite red-ish tomato. It's red in color when it's as ripe as I like it. Jazz from Fred Hempel was very similar, sweet yet still having an acid bite.

Esmerelda Golosina and Green Doctor's Frosted are the sweetest green-when-ripe fruit I have had.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #8
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Isis candy was pretty intensely flavored (and coyote was intensely sweet) but I didn't think it measured up to black cherry or sun gold, so won't grow again.
I forgot to include Indian Stripe and Aunt Ginny's Purple as not-intense-enough for me this year. Even my Cherokee purple wasn't great this year. I grew in earthboxes so they had constant/consistent water... maybe they'd do better if they dried out once in a while. We had such a wet summer that they would've been even MORE bland had I put them in the ground this year!

Also forgot to mention Brandywine OTV and Marvel Stripe which I didn't love either.

KBX I usually grow just to have an orange tomato since it's the most intense orange I've found- but it's not that intense!

I agree that Pink Berkeley Tie Dye was more flavorful than I expected! I noticed I like tang (sweet without tang isn't my thing) so was thinking about trying the original (green) Berkeley Tie Dye next year, but I found that 24 plants was too much work (as a doctor I often work 6 days a week and don't have a lot of time to spend in the garden, so pulling off the early blight this year was overwhelming with that many plants and a wet season!). And I had so many varieties that I didn't end up liking, that next year I might just double up on my very favorites to ensure lots of intense tomatoes and then try maybe 5 or 6 new ones (instead of 16 or 18!). I will look into am of your suggestions, thank you!!

Jen
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Haven't really found any big tomatoes that I would call intense. Maybe in some perfect growing conditions...
Galina and a heirloom small red cherry from Romania (kinda like matt's wild cherry but bigger and less sweet) are this year's most intense. Sungold I would rate third around he same level as Tomatoberry (very different tastes however).
Druzba has a good taste that seems intense in the first bite, but after that it kinda goes away, a common problem of red tomatoes imo. (not 'persistent' taste)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Picking new favorites for me/us is Sungold. We liked Ambrosia Red and Black Krim a lot. There were several crosses that tasted very good. Medovaya Kaplya was the most interesting tasting yellow tomato. Orange colored tomato that we liked best was Oranje Van Goeijenbier. Pinky Blast grew on 2' tall plant the produced its tomatoes at the top of the plant = easy to pick and grow. Bradley produced big nice tasting tomatoes and easily was the best Semi-DET tomato in our gardens. Most prolific were Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue, Matt's Wild Cherry, and Russian Mini Yellow. Pink Ping Pong was my wife's favorite smaller slicing tomato.

Our favorite isn't a new-to-us tomato, it's Porter.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I can't tell you what the most intensely flavored varieties are b'c growing the same variety is different summers can give me fruits that vary in taste depending on the weather that summer and all kinds of variables I've mentioned here before.

About the only varieties that I grew that consistently were lousy tasting for me I can, but that doesn't help either b'c what I don't like someone else will love which has been shown here at Tville in many threads with many varieties mentioned since the site opened in Jan of 2006.

Carolyn
Old August 7, 2015   #12
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Good deep black tomato flavor for me was Pierce's Pride.

Regular "red" flavor Cosmonaut Volkov came out really balanced this year.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #13
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Every year, it's the most intense experience of the season. After the entire winter of total taste deprivation, I go to the garden and pick the first vine ripened Tommy Toe Red. The experience is unique and I stand there with my eyes closed and my taste buds screaming, "It's about time. I'm so tired of that supermarket trash".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #14
shiner
Tomatovillian™

Pink Brandywine (seeds from Baker Creek) was by far the clear winner of all the varieties I grew this year. Flavor was intense and some tomatoes were over a pound! Others I liked were Big Beef, Mortgage Lifter, Stupice, and Black Cherry. I also grew Black Krim, Paul Robison, Dwarf Wild Fred,Jet Setter, and Bradley Heirloom but won't next year.
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #15
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

The one that tasted heavenly to me (in 2013) most intense delicious flavor I have tasted, was Beauty King. Pork Chop, Chocolate Stripes and Goose Creak are very good too, in my garden. I can't really compare a large tom with a cherry like sungold.