Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 11, 2012   #1
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default how to patch a hoophouse hole

Hi guys!

So, some way or another, I ended up with a small tear in the plasti near the base of my hoophouse. How can I easily fix it? Would duct tape suffice? It's only a couple inches across, but I certainly don't want it to get worse.

Thanks,
Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Depends on the type plastic that you used. If it is greehouse poly, then best to get repair tape.

http://www.mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1493

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012   #3
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I think duct tape or heavy duty clear packing tape might work. It helps if you clean the dirt off the surface, then clean it with rubbing alcohol. The tape adheres much better. Do that on the inside and outside surfaces and apply tape in both locations. That will really stabilize the area.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

My vote is for the clear packing tape over the duct tape. The duct tape doesn't hold very long when it gets hot and it tends to delaminate. The packing tape will also fail eventually, but will last longer.

My experience with the special tape made for repairs -- it isn't worth the high price as it fails in just about as quick a time frame. Of course that was from several years ago. It's possible there is better tape on the market now.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012   #5
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I've used the greenhouse repair tape and it is typically good for between 2 and 4 years. Packing tape will not usually stick to new plastic because the mold lubricant is still on it. If you use dish detergent and water to clean the plastic first, it should adhere. Give it a try either way and see what works.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #6
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i agree that the greenhouse repair tape is the way to go... worth spending a bit more to protect your larger investment. (i've used duct tape and packing tape too but they don't last nearly as long)
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #7
laspasturas
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely recommend repair tape. Not only will it last a much longer than duct or packing tape, it will do a lot more to help prevent further damage. It's more expensive, but one roll will last quite a while.
laspasturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #8
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

My experience has been similar to Carol's - I haven't had much luck with the tape marketed specifically for greenhouse poly repair (it's been several years since I used it, but I think it was a 6 mil repair tape @ $6/roll), and duct tape is worthless. I've had the best luck with the super-cheap, super-thin, clear packaging tape from the 99 cent store.

Whichever clear tape you use, clean and dry the surface(s) first, and apply to both sides of the plastic (inside and out). If it peels off in a year, just reapply.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #9
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, I'll try packing tape first and see if it works!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote