Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2011   #1
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Default SSE Lookup for... possible heirlooms??

This is kind of a friend of a friend situation, so little is known of the history but my good friends in WV knowing that I am a bit crazy about heirloom tomatoes, sent a large red solid tomato to me for seed saving. The Krynicki's were given these two heirloom plants with names of "Randy Dandy" and "Meaty Russian". Wondering if either of these names might show up in the SSE book. Most likely that is just what the families call them. I am growing the "Meaty Russian" this season to see how it does. Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I don't see anything for either of these in the online yearbook.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I don't see anything for either of these in the online yearbook.
So I won't bother looking in my yearbooks since I'm allergic to the online.

Patty, I'm wondering if the one called Randy Dandy might be at all related to one of four arieties in the works that Randy Gardner has been working on. I know one of them was tentaviely called Randy's Rusty, and I'll be darned if I can find the names of the others in my notebook or in an e-mail from Randy.

I grew all four F1 hybrids last summer but got no fruits in that lousy season. And I know he sent them for trial to some other folks, I think in NC.

But if these are truly family heirlooms then Randy Dandy can't be related even though Randy Gardner does do some trial work at his old family farm in VA.

Just a stretch here but you would know if those two were truly family heirlooms.
Old March 21, 2011   #4
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Let's see here... a Viking fan?
"Minnesota Vikings’ wide receiver Randy ‘Dandy’ Moss"

Or, back in 2005 there was someone from TN with the username "Randy Dandy" posting on a gardening forum called: HomesteadingToday

Okay, that's all I've got, lol... I tried
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote