Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old November 26, 2012   #1
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Default Watermelon, Little Baby Flower variety

I saw the picture and description of this small watermelon at Johnny's Select Seeds. Has anyone grown this one? I was going to try growing watermelon and sweet potatoes later next year when it is too hot to grow much else. I had bad luck buying watermelon this year both at the supermarket and the indy produce market. No flavor. It might have been the season, but home grown seems worth a try.

Or is there a better small variety you like?

Thanks,

Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Jade Star for the past two years,, now. It is an improved Sugar Baby melon. it did well for me here. It is not a huge melon. I grow it for my markets and they sell well. People who tend to support the markets are 1 -3 family member households. They aren't looking to feed a huge family and pass up the 20-25# ones, so I grow those for my roadside stand and take the smaller ones to the market. Usually they are between 8-15#'s. I did Treasure Chest which was supposed to be seedless and yellow. I found them to grow to the size of a softball for me. I missed their ripe stage because I was expecting them to grow larger and I didn't get to taste them. I was disappointed with the production of them. There weren't many in the patch.
Old November 27, 2012   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I tried here in S Florida.Did not research first.If you have time. http://www.ipmcenters.org/cropprofil...termelons.html
Old November 27, 2012   #4
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Duly discouraged, will probably skip it.
Old November 27, 2012   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Don't give up yet.Chancethegardner is growing and offering some varietys he has had success with in the Tampa area.Give him a buzz at: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24805
Old November 27, 2012   #6
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Thanks - actually it was having read Chance's posted problems with watermelons (read last night on this board) followed by your cautions... after a pretty crappy morning, that led me to not want to contemplate more things totally out of my control. Maybe that'll pass.
Old November 27, 2012   #7
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

I actually had good luck with Sugar Baby last fall/winter in-ground. I had a few melons per vine, the taste was very good. I can't grow anything in my heavily sand yard, but amended with compost and with decent liquid fertilizer at regular intervals, things went well.
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012   #8
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Jess. At least Sugar Baby is one listed at several vendors I was eyeing for other veggie seeds. The Florida IFAS recommended varieties for the minis include ones I can't find for residential sale anywhere. Extazy? I haven't seen Carolyn K's Jade Star mentioned above, either.

I'm going to have to amend soil for everything, and have been. I didn't realize I would have to plant by March, though. That means I will have to dig a new spot and can't use the in-ground bed I have going for zucchini after that's done.
Old February 10, 2013   #9
chance
Tomatovillian™

I have had very good results with New Queen for many years. It is orange flesh and six to eight pounds. Very crisp and sweet with thin rind. They tend to split but are really productive and grow well in Melbourne Fl.
chance is offline   Reply With Quote