Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 2, 2010   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Bug-O-Rama This Year - Can You Help Identify (pics)

We seem to be hit with multiple infestations of nasties this Season. While the "Hot Pink" Aphids were an early annoyance, new species have taken up residence - - and they are taking their toll. Some plants continue to do OK, while others are being ravaged. Druzba on the left, then relatively healthy Purple Haze and JD Special C-Tex on the right:

I am seeing widespread infestation of these guys which look like Darth Vader's helmet:

A close up:

I simply can't identify this one.

In addition, I've got these guys which I believe are Psyllids:

...And to top it off, these guys are also hanging on:

I learned yesterday that in the Bay Area, Tomato Russet Mites have also infested us this year. A closeup shows a web-like structure with many "eggs" attached:

Then the top of the leaves degrade into this:

So, welcome to my World this Season. Any advice as to confirming what these are and how to get rid of them would be appreciated.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Ray, you need either Garden Safe spray, or a shotgun. I don't recognize those bugs either, and that's after having a long list of critters show up here this year. I have tried to remain organic this year, and have had moderate success. However, there comes a time when soapy water just "ain't gonna hack it".

Ted, who is much more judicious with the chems.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That Druzba plant looks like it has some type of wilt; mine looked very similar to that when it had fusarium. I'm suffering from spider mites and whiteflies which always seem to show up when the 100 degree weather stresses the plants. Try using permethrin and dishwashing soap and make sure you use a fine spray on all the undersides of the leaves. I have some success with this combination on spider mites and most other pests this time of the year. If that doesn't work I will sometimes use malathion with dishwashing soap; but that is a last resort because of the tendency of a malathion solution strong enough to kill whiteflies and spider mites usually results in some leaf burn. Another drawback is the longer waiting time to harvest after spraying malathion.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

b54red,

Thanks for the recommendations. We have seldom experienced multiple infestations in N. Calif. so I really don't have much historical experience with Insecticides. To be sure, I have both Psyllids and Spider Mites to now deal with, notwithstanding any Fungal issues, so it is one heck of a year!!

My son who owns a Hydroponics Shop in Santa Fe is sending me some treatments that he claims are effective for his customers - - so we will see how these work on plain old ordinary tomatoes.....

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010   #5
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Ray, your plants are always so beautiful that it's hard to look at those stressed plants in the picture. In Texas we have many bugs, I just keep trying until something works.

good luck

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

The last picture looks like what could be a couple of red spidermites in the picture (too small to tell for sure) and the one before that has the characteristic webbing that they make. Around here, they usually only become a problem if the plant is already suffering, i.e., they are not usually the primary issue. However, once they get going, they can become a real problem. They do not seem to like oils sprayed on them, such as Neem. I've also got some other horticultural oil that is a mix of garlic oil, clove oil and some other oil that I've used. Oils require full application on the tops and bottoms of every leaf, and are best to spray in the evening. It essentially suffocates the little devils. :-)
Sorry you are having such a complicated year. It does seem to happen to us all at some point. Good luck Ray!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote