Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 31, 2009   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Pinch off blossoms?

I started my peppers early and they went in about ten days ago at about the time of the last frost, so they are just getting established and are not really that big or growing strongly yet, but they are budding like crazy and I'm afraid that at this small size any early fruit set will stunt them. I would like to give them some time to grow in warmer soil before letting them fruit. I'm just now putting in the last of my tomatoes (right on schedule). Would it be a good idea/good timing to pinch off the pepper blossoms until the tomatoes start to flower (mid June)? Or wait longer (late June) until the tomatoes really get going? This is my first year growing a lot of peppers, In the past I always got them in late (basic bell peppers) and didn't pay atttention to what they were doing and they were usually stunted by the first fruit. This year I have about two dozen varieties (frying, new mex, and hot peppers) and am trying to be a responsible parent.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I pinch mine back for about the first week in the ground, although the plants will generally drop the blossoms from transplant stress anyway. Peppers are pretty hardy, though; and a lot of folks argue that it doesn't stunt their growth at all. So, don't sweat it, do what you think is right, and you'll probably have plenty of peppers either way.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2009   #3
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I agree with it probably being best to pinch the flowers until the plants are established. It seems to me that it takes longer for peppers to "recover" after a stress. I'm leaving some on and taking some off as an experiment as I type this. So far, it seems to be really slowing down the development of the plants with flowers and fruit left on the plant.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009   #4
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
I agree with it probably being best to pinch the flowers until the plants are established. It seems to me that it takes longer for peppers to "recover" after a stress. I'm leaving some on and taking some off as an experiment as I type this. So far, it seems to be really slowing down the development of the plants with flowers and fruit left on the plant.

Good luck.

Randy
Hello Randy,

Just wondering how you went with your little test?
I have just planted 6 different peppers and am now wondering whether to pinch the first fruit or not.
My Chili is doing exactly what people say, it is small but has developed a massive crown of flowers... yet i would really like a larger plant, then a dwarf

Thanks
Salty_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2009   #5
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Initially the plant with pinched blossoms grew quicker, but by the end of the season you could not tell which plant had the blossoms pinched. On the plant I left the blossoms on I got peppers earlier. I got a few more peppers off the pinched blossom plant, but not a lot. The variety was Yellow Belle, perhaps other varieties the difference might be more pronounced. Overall I would say it is best to pinch.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2009   #6
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

I was advised by loads of pepper growers to pinch, at least initially, and my peppers are looking good.

Strangely, there was no obvious signs of stress after transplanting 31 of them into soil recently, but the weather has been perfect, so perhaps that's why...warm, not hot, balmy, not dry, etc.

Supposedly, the pinching off helps the plant in terms of size, but with our temperate weather here, I think I will overwinter around 50 plants, so they will be really strong next season anyway...

BTW I haven't heard of many of the varieties mentioned in this thread, which is really great! More knowledge is always welcome!

huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote