Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 10, 2012   #1
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Default My Idea for a Container Trellis

I've grown tomatoes for many years but never in containers until this year. I decided to put the knowledge I've gained here to use and try a couple of containers to absorb the over-run of plants that won't fit in the ground. I must say the Cherokee Purples in this container are putting my ground garden to shame. Anyway, here is my idea that I put together today. The idea is to be able to fold the trellis up for easier storage at the end of the season. The weight of the container anchors the trellis and the weed whacker line keeps the trellis from laying over back wards. Looks to me like it's going to work out OK.

marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #2
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Well done, that is a neat idea you have there, and I might add those are some mighty fine looking mater plants.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #3
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Ain't they though if I do say do myself.
Old June 10, 2012   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

They look great, but I'm thinking that you'll have to add a few feet of stakes to the tops of those trellises! Especially since the plants are that big already.

No problems, though, I've added stakes to the top of other stakes before and they did just fine. Here's wishing you tons of tomatoes on those plants, too!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #5
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
They look great, but I'm thinking that you'll have to add a few feet of stakes to the tops of those trellises! Especially since the plants are that big already.

No problem though, I've added stakes to the top of other stakes before and they did just fine. Here's wishing you tons of tomatoes on those plants, too!
Exactly! I couldn't agree more but I had these pieces of wood hanging around and it wouldn't be the first time I had to add some length to the trellis or stake. But if the idea is sound then you can always adapt.
Old June 10, 2012   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
Exactly! I couldn't agree more but I had these pieces of wood hanging around and it wouldn't be the first time I had to add some length to the trellis or stake. But if the idea is sound then you can always adapt.
I agree completely! And the idea does appear to be sound. It looks nice, too. (Plus, who can argue with using materials you already have?)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #7
PonyMan
Tomatovillian™

I LIKE it! Nice idea!
PonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #8
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Thanks,
I'm going to build more this weekend. If anyone should try it, I'd like to know your result. Has anyone already seen or used this idea? I'd be surprised if not.

Another month or so and I'll be picking the early ones. Can't wait.