Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 2 Days Ago   #1
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Carbon tomato

I've seen this new hybrid in seed catalogs and wondered if this cross is worth growing.Carbon is one of my favorites I grow every season. Cherokee purple is good but not very productive for me. Can you save seeds from this Cherokee Carbon cross? Any info would be helpful.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #2
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

100%!! It's a production monster for me! GREAT flavor as well. Large, juicy, and goes late into the season here in N.C. Large plant as well.
Been a mainstay for years for me.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #3
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it three years and love it. Healthy plants, very productive, delicious, almost no cracking or catfacing, no complaints at all.

I've saved seeds from it but haven't ever grown them out to see what they produce. If Cherokee Carbon truly is an F1 (which is how it's sold), saved seeds won't produce the same thing as the F1 seeds. But the way I look at it, both Carbon and Cherokee Purple are excellent tomatoes, and they're fairly similar, so how much different could the F2 and beyond be?
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote