Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 3, 2011   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default Row Seed Flats source/opinions?

I'm going to change my starting method this year and use the row seed flats instead of the 4 packs I've been using. I've used Craig's dense seed method for a few years now and just can't think of a better way to start a lot of plants than this.

I see that Johnny's has a "staggered" 20 row seed flat this year that's different that the one I saw last year.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8105-20...f-5-flats.aspx

Has anyone used these before? If so, are they fairly sturdy to use for a few years? Are there other places out there that have something comparable?

Any other recommendations? I plan on starting 2K-3K plants around 40-50 different varieties of tomatoes, 15 types of peppers, several types of basil and eggplant as well. Just looking for an efficient way to start them. Thanks for any advice.
Old January 3, 2011   #2
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

That's a nice looking flat. I may order some. They do state "reusable", so I'm hoping they are not too flimsy.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yes they should be re-usable. I have a case of the full row type and have used them several times.

But frankly I don't use them any more and think they suck for growing a lot of different varieties. Why -- because the different varieties always grow at different rates and need to be transplanted at various times. Then you're stuck with that flat with some empty rows. Not to mention it's hard to get rows that are in the middle out before the others.

Now I just mass plant in an 18 or 24. Then you can take each pot out as you need to work with it. If for some reason you have to delay the transplanting, you can always take every other pot out and "stagger" them to give the plants a bit more room and air.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

I went with one of these Plantel trays for this year, inside
an underbed shallow plastic tote for a tray (could fit two
Plantel trays in it, actually):
http://www.groworganic.com/plantel-tray-192-cell.html
http://www.target.com/Under-Bed-Stor...&node=14025921

Someone else mentioned how the standard 11"x20" trays tend
to flex when you pick them up, developing leaks, and I found
that to be true. By the second year of using them, at least one
of them always leaks, so I have to put them inside a web flat to
use them without that happening. Then I need inserts, too, for
the seedlings.

I decided to do this instead. The Plantel tray is thick and sturdy.
I expect it to last forever, more or less. They don't need media
inserts, any seed-starting mix will do. (I am using coir this year,
so that the little 1"x1"x2.5" cells in the Plantel tray do not dry
out inconveniently fast and so that newspaper pots wicking water
away from the media in potted up seedlings is less of an issue.)
Old February 23, 2011   #5
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

sorry I'm late!

huntoften, I use those trays for starting my peppers, 20 varieties each year. I've been using the same tray for about 10 years now. I just ran across them after looking to buy more of them for many years. Jung's also has them. They are very sturdy. The uneven lengths strengthens the tray in the middle.

Stay away from the tray that has 20 rows running across the width dimension--they are flimsy like standard inserts.

Hope this helps.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

By the way, Johnny's has their photo of the staggered row type, which I ordered - but what they are actually shipping is the full row ones. They said they will be correcting the photo.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #7
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
By the way, Johnny's has their photo of the staggered row type, which I ordered - but what they are actually shipping is the full row ones. They said they will be correcting the photo.
When will you be getting the straight 20-row version? If they are what has been out on the market already, I would probably consider returning them. If it's the same one, they are quite thin and flimsy, you would need to have them in place before filling with mix & seeds--you couldn't pick them up without them flexing like an accordian.

Maybe try asking for a pic of it.

Neither one fit a tray really well but at least the uneven one is strong enough to not worry about moving or flexing and doesn't even need a bottom tray, except it comes in handy when watering. Or if you have big fingers.
Old February 28, 2011   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
When will you be getting the straight 20-row version? If they are what has been out on the market already, I would probably consider returning them. If it's the same one, they are quite thin and flimsy, you would need to have them in place before filling with mix & seeds--you couldn't pick them up without them flexing like an accordian.

Maybe try asking for a pic of it.

Neither one fit a tray really well but at least the uneven one is strong enough to not worry about moving or flexing and doesn't even need a bottom tray, except it comes in handy when watering. Or if you have big fingers.
I already have them (straight rows). I'm no expert, but they seem ok to me - not really thin or flimsy. They will not bend side to side or end to end. I can twist them a bit, if I try. I intend to put them inside a tray anyway, for watering.
Old February 28, 2011   #9
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

They sent me the 20 row, straight ones...they are pretty tough...they bow in the middle a bit in the trays, but if you tuck the sides in, they do ok. I'll likely use these for a few seasons until something better comes along.
Old February 28, 2011   #10
korney19

Do they like like these that Pinetree sells?

https://www.superseeds.com/details.php?id=H117E

If so, then the old style I would say is rigid and the new style flexible. I can literally lift a full "sheet/tray" with one hand, with a full load of moist to wet promix & seeds included.

The problem with the new style is they aren't recommended for use with seedling/heat mats and the dimensions of the opening can change based on how full you fill them (the openings' walls flex) and how much the soilmix dries out (often get gaps between walls and media.)

Sorry, I must just take things too seriously.
Old March 1, 2011   #11
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Yes, they look similar.

I would think the problem with drying out on a heating mat would occur with anything with narrow rows, wouldn't it?

These have a rim, they "perch" on top of a tray. I haven't filled them yet, so don't know what they'll do once they're full.
Old March 2, 2011   #12
tam91
Tomatovillian™

OK, now that they are filled, they seem fine. I can carry one with one hand, if I grab it on the long side.

What is a bit flimsy, however, is the solid tray I'm setting them in. The weight of the seed row tray, which rests on the top of the regular tray, causes the bottom tray to bow out a bit in the middle. Still works though.