Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2013   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Weird Weather has me behind on planting

Normally, I would already have all seeds in the trays and more than half of them germinated. But I've delayed because the ground is still frozen and today, there is snow cover and more snow coming down.

It looks like I can start things toward the end of this week (maybe), but we'll have to see.

I also have three fruit trees and 10 blueberry plants in pots and bags, but I refuse to dig thru the snow to get to the ground they go in. About a week ago, it looked a tiny bit hopeful, and I got the main garden tilled. But then we had a huge rainstorm (a cold rain) followed by snow and another hard freeze.

A flock of robins came by this morning and chirped loudly in the trees out back. I had hope for awhile, but then I heard one of them say, "My tail feathers are frozen. Let's go back to New Orleans." Then they all headed southwest.

I've got a bad case of "cabin fever".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I know what you mean Ted. Normally by now I have lettuce planted three weeks ago and cabbages, brocolli, cauliflower and peas in two weeks ago and be busy planting spinach too. Thus far I haven't set out or planted anything. Only bright spot is some spinach we overwintered under some fabric. Toms and peppers are going to have to hold a bit this year.

Today was better here, all the snow melted and forecast is back more towards normal for the rest of the week. This should be a good weekend to catch up on setting out.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It has got us backed up quite a bit even this far south. My tomatoes that are usually in the ground by now are getting a bit too tall and I see no chance to put them out until this weekend. The few tomatoes I do have out in the garden are working me to death covering and uncovering with buckets every day before the sun goes down.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Well, Ted, if all goes well I will finally start transplanting tomato seedlings tomorrow! We still can't put them out - tonight could be the last frost in awhile. My garage floor is covered with eggplant and hot pepper seedlings and half of my sweet peppers. So far behind indeed!
Old March 29, 2013   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

We'll start seeds sometime before the weekend is out. I've also got three fruit trees to put in the yard. It's just so frustrating when you have all the materials at hand and can't get a break in the dadblamed weather.

I put everything (trays, mix, water bottles, etc.) in my "hot room" out in the garage and turned the heat on. I'll fill up trays with mix and get them up to temp today. Tomorrow, if the mix temps are up, I'll put the seeds in. All of my neighbors who have gardens say this year is really weird. We had another hard frost this morning and have for the last twenty six straight mornings.

But, it looks like we may get the ground thawed out this weekend and even get some temps above 50. Anyhow, we're finally pushing ahead.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote