Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2013   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default My Topsy Tom Isn't Turvy

Topsy Tom is new this year, and I had started several plants, thinking that I could use it as a hanging basket tomato. It is supposed to be the variety that was created for the upside down planters. It just occurred to me today that it's not going to work in hanging baskets, because it's not making cascading vines like a tumbling variety. It's growing like a weed, but straight up. Topsy Tom is a virile, fast-growing plant so far. But I am keeping my expectations low in regard to flavor.

I think I will just put the plants in gallon pots and make them the first tomato plants I sell. People will buy them because of the name. I had several customers last year ask me what variety to put in their upside down planter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topsytom.jpg (108.1 KB, 49 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hi,
I grow "tumbler" style tomatoes. They grow upright up to a point and then they bend over as the weight of the tops makes them "tumble" over the sides of a basket but they always start out fully upright until about they are about 12"tall.

Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #3
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Our .99 store had the topsy turvy things, so I bought 7 to use in Canada for
cherry tomatoes as I have too many plants for the space available. Anyone had
any success with cherries in those things.

I made my own, two years ago and had marginal luck. All would have done
much better had they been right side up. Maybe if these don't work out, I
can use them as grow bags, huh? Better yet, I can plant okra in them and if
it doesn't work, who da heck cares???
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #4
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Alpine: I tried the topsy turvy thingees one year. It's so windy here that the tomatoes broke off. Just keep them out of the wind and it should work okay. I don't have anywhere in my garden that is sunny AND protected from the wind, so I gave mine away. I did see them at the dollar store last week.

Cole: I've got some Whippersnapper and Anmore Dewdrop started (both new to me this year) and they are supposed to be "tumbler" types too. So far, my experience has been like yours and they are growing upright. I hope they start to tumble soon. There are some clusters of buds already starting, each with a large number of individual buds in each. It should be interesting!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Good info. I am growing Carol Knapps Pink Tumbler which, I had thought maybe was mixed up. It seems to have a very aggressive growing habit, at least for now. Happy to hear it should eventually tumble

I have Anmore Dewdrop seeds in route to me too, also new to me.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I'm personally not really a fan of the upside down tomato idea as I think it is mainly a gimmick but I have grown strawberries in a similar aparatus nylon bag with planting holes in the sides. The whole thing filled with planting mix, planted and watered well weighed about 40 pounds so keep that in mind when planning on where and on what you would hang the thing.
As an aside, if you wish you can grow tumbler style tomatoes upright with the use of support such as a small cage. Some people don`t like hanging baskets and would prefer to grow them in a patio pot or even a flower bed. just noting that you can do this if you train them through a support. they are very popular in my neck of the woods because they are so prolific and early.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking it's going to be four feet tall and loaded with tomatoes that look great, but taste like I bought them at the grocery store in winter. It would make sense that this variety was chosen to be fast and easy to grow, because that is what would make the planter look good. Most people are going to forget to water it and let the plant die before they get to eat the tomatoes, anyway.

Tumbling Tom will be the tomato I stick to in hanging baskets. Terrenzo did well, but it's not pretty enough. I think that hanging basket tomatoes are not the smartest idea myself, but the people who are into them really like them a lot. Last year. they kept asking all summer and fall if I would sell them again next spring.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #8
dice
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you could attach sinkers to the ends of the main stem and
side shoots until they are ready for market:
http://www.bigtentackle.com/bt/ceram.htm
(On basket tomatoes, you could clip them to the branches and take
them off before taking the plants to market, making them reusable.)