Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2011   #1
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

Default How Do I Sterilize Last Seasons Potting Mix To Help Prevent Whitefly Infestation?

It seems like every season my mothers tomatoes are absolutely infested with whiteflies. She has been using several of the same half whiskey barrels for many years now - rarely changing/amending the soil between seasons.

It is my understanding that whiteflies lay eggs in the soil and emerge when it is warm again outside?

I plan on emptying the old mix into her flower garden bed.. scrubbing the whiskey barrels with a bleach solution and using all new homemade 'Als 5-1-1 Mix'.
Are there any other chemicals I should be using, or will bleach work?

Now.. here is my main concern. My Earthtainers were placed several feet away from her barrels. Although my plants were never decimated by the whiteflies, I did see a few on some of the leaves - by the end of the growing season.
Since my Earthtainers were brand-new last year.. with fresh bales of Pro-Mix BX, I would like to use it again for this season (with some additional perlite + bark fines ammended into the mix - as recommended by rnewste.)
What should I do to 'treat' this mix so that the [possible] whitefly eggs are destroyed?

Thanks for your help.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #2
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

If you are concerned the whiteflies will start trying to colonize the tomatoes on your earthtainers, perhaps introducing some parasitic wasps would help.

That site also recommends silver/aluminum mulch to deter whiteflies. I thought they laid their eggs on the leaves rather than the soil? You might want to see if there are weeds or other plants that could be hosting whiteflies when the tomatoes are gone- they can affect a large variety of plants.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #3
platys
Tomatovillian™

Darn, I had a nasty white fly problem last year, and was hoping to reuse the potting soil (My husband will have a heart attack if I don't. If I get the wasps right away, will they stick around until white flies show up?
platys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #4
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Hows about not reusing old medium?

My end of the wager is fresh is cheeper, than fixing the old.
Old March 31, 2011   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Whiteflies lay their eggs on the underside of leaves and spend their life-cycle on the plant. Also, I don't think they can overwinter in Calgary freezing winters. (assuming the pots are outside) Here, they live year around and rotate between host plants.

Instead of sterilizing the soil I would look for the source of the whiteflies. Does your Mom buy any of her plants from a greenhouse? If you start seeds indoors do you have any houseplants infected with whiteflies that could infect your seedlings?

I would also use yellow sticky traps to monitor the whitefly population outside and begin spraying with an organic oil (like Neem oil, etc,) if the yellow traps are trapping whiteflies.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Last Season, I was hit with Aphids, Psyllids, and Whiteflies. As part of my countermeasures this Season, I am trialing silverized mulch to reflect sunlight on the undersides of the leaves.

We'll see if it is an effective deterrent.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

Interesting... I'm interested in seeing the results, keep us posted. I've heard good things about reflective mulch but haven't decided to make the investment just yet.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #8
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by platys View Post
Darn, I...was hoping to reuse the potting soil
Sometimes I dump used potting soil in a pile and give it a "year off". Seems to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestKrim
You might want to see if there are weeds or other plants that could be hosting whiteflies when the tomatoes are gone- they can affect a large variety of plants.
In addition to that perennials can carry viruses through the winter. I will be pulling some chlorotic milkweed I suspect is harboring cucumber mosaic virus. (sorry monarchs)
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Raybo,

Interesting... I'm interested in seeing the results, keep us posted. I've heard good things about reflective mulch but haven't decided to make the investment just yet.

Steve
Steve,

It is not really that expensive. I bought mine from a fellow TV member who sells it on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-reflectiv...item4158136086

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote