Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 18, 2012   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default What to watch for?

200+ plants in, all blowing up and doing really well. Many over 4 ft already. I put them in March 8 and its been warm, soo all seems good.

Couple questions I have.

First, what should I watch for this time of year? I have put down a base 13-13-13 about 3 weeks ago. Some have a lot of fruit, some a little, some none, and I'm sure that depends on the varieties.

Lastly, when do you pick before taking to farmers market? How long do you let them ripen?

Thanks Guys!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
200+ plants in, all blowing up and doing really well. Many over 4 ft already. I put them in March 8 and its been warm, soo all seems good.

Couple questions I have.

First, what should I watch for this time of year?
If the plants are over 2 feet tall, then it's time to start selectively pruning the bottom 10-12 inches of foliage that touches or might touch the ground, especially any yellowing foliage. This is to prevent fungal spread if there are heavy storms, etc.

I'd keep up on the watering as needed. As it gets hotter, the plants will need more frequent drinks. Consistency is the key.

Patrol for stink bugs and leaf-footed bugs. They bite the tomatoes leaving corky white bits behind which affect the saleability of the tomatoes.

Quote:
Lastly, when do you pick before taking to farmers market? How long do you let them ripen?
This is going to absolutely come down to who your customer base is, their level of epicurean knowledge, etc. which is largely determined by which farmer's market you plan to sell to. Also you have to decide if you're willing to stand there and vigilantly explain to customers NOT to squeeze your tomatoes to death.

The general public are so used to tomatoes being red baseballs that they think it is normal practice to stroll up to a pile of tomatoes and start squeezing them HARD to see which ones give to pressure. It may be advisable to put more firm tomatoes up front and then keep softer tomatoes on a table behind you or out of customer reach which you can then helpfully offer if they say they want to eat/cook with the tomato today.

Unfortunately due to Food Safety laws run amok, giving out fresh-cut samples of fruit and vegetables at a farmer's market are prohibited unless you do this in advance at a $10,000+ certified kitchen, at least within Harris County. To work around this problem, you can bring cherry tomatoes just so people get to taste *something*.

Just for my own personal use, I pick tomatoes as soon as they have blushed about halfway up the side and then ripen the tomatoes stem-side-down on a table indoors. I ripen them until they yield to gentle pressure on the bottom. I'm a firm believer that a blind man can pick a ripe tomato. I have found no appreciable difference in the sweetness or flavor of tomatoes fully ripened vs. being ripened mostly indoors.

Good luck and hopefully you post pictures!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #3
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Thanks a bunch, very helpful and some great ideas. I actually will be selling in Ft Bend County, Richmond and Sugar Land. But produce only, no kitchen stuff. Also, one thing I did learn a while back was to come in with good size Atkinson and Arkansas Traveler, maybe some Creole transplants for summer after the early determinate stuff is done, mid June or so. Along those lines, I was also thinking of selling the summer variety plants at the market, explaining to customer who might want plants. Really concentrating on varieties they can grow in this area, again, avoiding the big box store mentality. Could be a decent addition to the marketing. And yeah! I'll get some pics up, I would appreciate your crituque and advise. It's always most welcome, and make sure you holler at me when you come back to the area.
Old April 23, 2012   #4
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Looks like all of my Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry, and maybe one other will bite the dust from fungus disease. Lesson learned. Cant sell what you aint got, no matter how good they are.
Old April 24, 2012   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Looks like all of my Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry, and maybe one other will bite the dust from fungus disease. Lesson learned. Cant sell what you aint got, no matter how good they are.
I really think you need to get to the bottom of this issue. I know of no "fungus disease" that takes plants down in a matter of days in S.E. Texas.

If you can take some pics with your cell phone or anything like that send them to morgan (at) settfest.com.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #6
Keger
Tomatovillian™

If you can take some pics with your cell phone or anything like that send them to morgan (at) settfest.com.

OK, I will , thanks!
Old April 28, 2012   #7
Keger
Tomatovillian™

OK, figured out how that works....On the way!