Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2013   #1
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Default Galina's question

I have one plant of Galina's in the garden. For those who've grown Galina's, was the plant large and vigorous, or more compact and small. Mine has set several fruit, but is quite puny. It could be due to it being mud for a quite some time. We got about 5" of rain one night, 3-4 weeks ago. It seems all the plants near this part of the garden(slightly lower elevation) are smaller than those farther down the row. Just wondering.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

I grew Galinas last year and it started out as a puny seedling. It didn't set low fruit for me, it was a leggy long vine, and once I topped it it started setting fruit high up and it kept putting out high suckers and setting fruit high up even though it was pretty much defoliated because it was so susceptible to foliage disease. I do sanitation pruning primarily and this plant always needed bad leaves taken off. I was ready to consider it a writeoff but it set a lot of fruit high on the plant and kept on setting even with only a few leaves, the fruit were delicious and pretty, one of the best tasting cherries I've found for sure.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ina%27s_Yellow

I grew Galina's Yellow the very first time that Bill McDorman bought it back from Siberia and offered it at his website.

it was as Tania says above, a PL Indet variety and really quite beautiful and I have always loved the taste of those gold cherries, not sweet for me, but ever so rich tasting.

It was from saved seeds from Galina that I found what was named Dr. Carolyn. then next came Green Doctors and then Green Doctors Frosted and in the meantime I was sent a pink version of Dr,Carolyn named Dr. Carolyn Pink.

So nothing puny about Galina's for me, with those PL leaves quite tolerant of foliage diseases, and an all around fave for me, and I think many others as well.

Carolyn
Old July 18, 2013   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Definitely smaller plant than your normal cherry tomato.
One odd characteristic is how short the leaves are, I don't think I've seen any other tomato with such short leaves.
Production vs plant size however is not bad.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #5
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic taken a number of year's ago .......... I've always thought of Galina as a well behaved plant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galina on Trellis.JPG (51.9 KB, 43 views)
Old July 19, 2013   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to hear that Galinas performs better outdoors than in my greenhouse environment, which has a high relative humidity, and favours tender vegetative growth, not enough wind stress to produce tough foliage. I may try her outside another year, the fruit was wonderful.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2013   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it a couple of times. Compared to other cherry varieties, which can get pretty out of control, I think Galina's is a pretty well behaved plant. On the smaller side for a cherry.
Old July 19, 2013   #8
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Galina grew to about 6 feet and was fairly productive for me. Nice tasting!
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #9
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input. I think the lack of vigor of my Galina's plant is due to environmental factors. I should get a fair amount of tomatoes off the plant, to see how they taste.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote