Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 28, 2012   #1
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Default Timorex Gold Organic Biofungicide

I've been reading about this fungicide for over a year now and it is getting approved all over the world, but not in the U.S. yet! It is frustrating because it could really make it a lot easier to grow organic tomatoes commercially. The active ingredient comes from the melaleuca tree, which is actually a horribly invasive tree that has taken over large sections of southwest Florida. Here is the most recent article:

Biofungicide Timorex Gold controlling pathogens in Mexican tomatoes

Tomato crops suffer from a broad range of pathogenic fungi and bacteria, which cause plant diseases and affect production. Timorex Gold is distinguished from other fungicides by providing a solution to a large range of diseases that are threats to the agriculture production.

In Mexico, Timorex Gold has an excellent effect on tomato powdery mildew (Leveillula taurica, Erysiphe lycopersicum) and early blight (Alternaria solani). In other parts of the world, Timorex Gold has proven to be an efficient tool against various fungi diseases, such as: leaf mold (Cladosporium fulvum), gray spot (Stemphylium lycopersici) and gray mold (Botrytis cinerea). Furthermore, Timorex Gold has also had excellent results when used against bacterial diseases in young plants, such as the bacterial spot (Xanthomonas campestri) and bacterial canker (Clavibacter michiganensis).

Mexico is known to be one of the fastest growing leaders in the exportation of fruits and vegetables, among them tomatoes. Due to the demands in food security and the quality required of the Mexican products, the growers have to apply a strict plan to protect plants to guarantee that they comply with import requirements of the United States, Europe and some Asian countries such as Japan, where the Mexican products are sold.

Timorex Gold presents an alternative for the producers of tomatoes and of other crops, by controlling diseases caused by plant pathogenic fungi and bacteria.

Timorex Gold has proven to be an alternative in reducing fungicides that are of high risk to the environment and to laborers. Timorex Gold has been certified by major organic associations, leaves no residues, does not harm beneficial insects and is a totally secure product for the applicator and for other exposed workers.
Old June 28, 2012   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Maybe they should make a GMO version - then it would be approved lickety-split.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2012   #3
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

that is funny that it comes from trees here but yet it isn't available for sale here???? what is wrong with that picture..

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2012   #4
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
Maybe they should make a GMO version - then it would be approved lickety-split.
LOL

Monsanto is prolly"lobbying " the hold up
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #5
danineifeld
Tomatovillian™

Default melaleuca tree

I must say that the Timorex Gold (excellent product ) is not from melaleuca tree from Florida but from melaleuca tree from Australia that is widely used for human needs. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
I've been reading about this fungicide for over a year now and it is getting approved all over the world, but not in the U.S. yet! It is frustrating because it could really make it a lot easier to grow organic tomatoes commercially. The active ingredient comes from the melaleuca tree, which is actually a horribly invasive tree that has taken over large sections of southwest Florida. Here is the most recent article:

Biofungicide Timorex Gold controlling pathogens in Mexican tomatoes

Tomato crops suffer from a broad range of pathogenic fungi and bacteria, which cause plant diseases and affect production. Timorex Gold is distinguished from other fungicides by providing a solution to a large range of diseases that are threats to the agriculture production.

In Mexico, Timorex Gold has an excellent effect on tomato powdery mildew (Leveillula taurica, Erysiphe lycopersicum) and early blight (Alternaria solani). In other parts of the world, Timorex Gold has proven to be an efficient tool against various fungi diseases, such as: leaf mold (Cladosporium fulvum), gray spot (Stemphylium lycopersici) and gray mold (Botrytis cinerea). Furthermore, Timorex Gold has also had excellent results when used against bacterial diseases in young plants, such as the bacterial spot (Xanthomonas campestri) and bacterial canker (Clavibacter michiganensis).

Mexico is known to be one of the fastest growing leaders in the exportation of fruits and vegetables, among them tomatoes. Due to the demands in food security and the quality required of the Mexican products, the growers have to apply a strict plan to protect plants to guarantee that they comply with import requirements of the United States, Europe and some Asian countries such as Japan, where the Mexican products are sold.

Timorex Gold presents an alternative for the producers of tomatoes and of other crops, by controlling diseases caused by plant pathogenic fungi and bacteria.

Timorex Gold has proven to be an alternative in reducing fungicides that are of high risk to the environment and to laborers. Timorex Gold has been certified by major organic associations, leaves no residues, does not harm beneficial insects and is a totally secure product for the applicator and for other exposed workers.
danineifeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcelbarbier Looked at the Stockton Group site who controls this Timorex Gold.Only real news is powdery mildew control.On thier map they have pinpointed Miami Fl and Canada.Thanks to the USDA they have stringent testing and results standards otherwise you might think it should of been approved.On the link above this guy has a link to Sygenta and Stockton Group,?.Maybe they are trying to figure out thier cost and profit distribution first before they release it.As a Floridian Melaleuca and Kudzu are banned words in conversation. Have not did any research on USDA site regarding this product but will when I have some time.
Old August 9, 2012   #7
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by danineifeld View Post
I must say that the Timorex Gold (excellent product ) is not from melaleuca tree from Florida but from melaleuca tree from Australia that is widely used for human needs.
It is still the same tree though isn't it?
Per this link considered an invasive species in FL.
http://pasco.ifas.ufl.edu/gardening/melaleuca.shtml

Wouldn't it make sense to harvest these as opposed to spend money to eradicate?
Oh wait that would make sense.....
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

JamesL,it has been a pest since I can remember.It was brought in(from Austrailia)to suck up the water in the Glades.The problem with the tree now is that it can release up to a million spores per tree at a time then seed new trees.With people that have allergys it is very unhealthy.When a stand takes hold you will see a tree literally every 6inches to a foot apart thus killing all other vegetaion around.No real poisons have been found yet it just overtakes eveything.When I did a USDA Timorex search page shows with some studies and comments on "tall oil"and some other derivatives what I think might lead to the Timorex business.Maybe the post #5 above can shed some light since the maker of Timorex is Stockton Group that is located in Israel.
Old August 10, 2012   #9
marcelbarbier
Tomatovillian™

Default Timorex Gold soon in the U.S.

Hello everybody. I was introduced to your site by a friend that told me that at your site there was some interest about Timorex Gold use in Tomatoes and registration in the U. S.

I am working with Stockton in the R&D of Timorex Gold in the U.S. and we are expecting to obtain the Tea tree oil (active ingredient in Timorex Gold) registration at the EPA by next September.

Actually we are running different efficacy trials in order to include different patho-systems (crops and pathogens) in Timorex Gold label.

As previously mentioned, Timorex Gold use in tomatoes in Mexico has proved to be effective on controlling Leveillula taurica, Erysiphe lycopersicum and Alternaria solani. I have worked with Timorex Gold in Banana controlling Mycosphaerella fijiensis and in Melon on controlling Monosporascus cannonballus.

If you visit my linkedin, recently posted by Kurt. Before coming to work for Stockton I worked at different multinationals like Chiquita, Monsanto, Bayer, and Syngenta. Then since 2006, I have been working with Stockton focus on the development of biopesticides based in plant extracts, mainly in Timorex Gold, and since 2010, paralleling I am studying at the Soil and Water department at the University of Florida to obtain my Ph. D. degree.

Regarding the invasive Melaleuca specie in Florida is Melaleuca quinquenervia, which actually is under biological control but also something good is producing out of the bad, since a company is producing mulch out of the Melaleuca, for more information visit http://www.gomulch.com/index.cfm/nam.../app_prodid-20

The active ingredient in Timorex Gold is known as “Tea tree oil”, and is an essential oil extracted from Melaleuca alternifolia, also specie of the Melaleuca genus and reported in Florida. If you are interested in know more about the Melaleuca classification by the USDA please visit the following site: http://plants.usda.gov/java/Classifi...&classid=MELAL

Stockton obtains the tea tree oil from farmers (yes is also a crop) in Australia and other countries that produce this essential oil, then import to Israel where the Timorex Gold is formulated and then Timorex Gold is export to other countries.

I hope that the comments I am making here gives some clarifications to previous posts, and if you are interested in knowing more about Timorex Gold and would like to give a try, please do not hesitate to contact me by sending an email to marcelbarbier65@gmail.com
marcelbarbier is offline   Reply With Quote