Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2015   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Default Cabin...Fever

I already have a serious case, and there's more snow on the way.

On the plus side, I now have a name for the mystery pink PL beefsteak sent to me many years ago by Gary Millwood. This tomato was labeled as "Cabin". Cabin is a RL. I'm not sure if it is a red, as I've never trialed it. For several years, people have been calling the pink PL beefsteak "Cabin PL".

Well, it's time for me to start calling it "Cabin Fever". When I get such a case, like this year, I can think of this fantastic tasting tomato, the anticipation of summer, and of Gary Millwood (my first tomato enabler).

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #2
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Cabin...Fever

Yes I know what you mean. And I am running low on my home made grape juice. And yes Farmette it is probably slightly spirted.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; February 7, 2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Grammer
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I hear ya guys. My onions and leeks going in the basement as well as very early start to my peppers with my pepper topping experiment is taking the edge off nicely. I've got my 2015 tomatoes mainly figured out, that poll I've posted is going pretty much how I've figured it would go thus far. I like I said when I posted it, it is non-binding!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Aren't they calling for snow between 3" and 2'!!

They said this was going to be a tough one to call!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For us they're saying 6-12" between now and Sunday night. They aren't saying how much we can expect from Monday morning through Monday night... Sigh.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

To alleviate our cabin fever we are spending a week in Florida. Left the day after a foot of the white stuff hit and a couple of days before below zero temps. While not ideal the weather is better than Nebraska. So a week into our vacation I am ready to be back home snow, cold and all. All the way from here I hear seeds begging to be planted.
Old February 7, 2015   #7
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

...and let's not forget that some of the COLDEST air to be found in the US will be sitting right on top of New England for a few days later this week. Joe Bas tardi says below normal temps right thru March. Got oil stocks?
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I feel for you all up there in that sub-zero weather. Just glad to see that some folks have power still. I can't imagine how bad it would be without it.

Didn't your Northern groundhog say that you would only have 6 more weeks of winter?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Cabin...Fever

Punxsutawney Phil said six more weeks.

Ms. G's public appearance was snowed out but she reportedly made a private prediction that winter is ending soon. Not sure I buy it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Yes, cabin fever- bad case here. My walking paths are too slippery with frozen slush turned ice. Seems we're south of the freezing line in the latest forecast and so are expecting mostly rain from this next storm- hopefully, anyway.

Moved my onion, chive, parsley & cilantro seedlings to the basement today, since it's up to about 60 F. down there, whereas it's getting up into the upper 70's in the sunny spot they were in previously. Have very early dwarfish sized tomato varieties on the way in the mail which will be planted asap for an early start- to be potted up into 3 gal. containers and squeezed in among dh's cacti...along with at least one pepper plant.

Once it's February, I've got to plant something and even if I've been good about not accumulating seed all fall/winter, orders start to happen... Hurry, spring!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #11
MrsTwigg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Once it's February, I've got to plant something and even if I've been good about not accumulating seed all fall/winter, orders start to happen... Hurry, spring!
Yes, ditto to this!
MrsTwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #12
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

looking at my little patch of heaven today where i blow all the snow from my concrete yard into. soon that 5ft pile of snow will be gone and i will be back on my knees
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #13
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Cabin...Fever

Yes I know what you mean. And I am running low on my home made grape juice. And yes Farmette it is probably slightly spirted.
Dutch
"Spirited" grape juice makes this Wisconsin winter weather so much more bearable. Dutch, I'm not as lucky, or should I say resourceful as you, to have my own home made. I have enough trouble keeping up with making sauce, salsa and Bloody Mary mix when summer's bounty hits. For me, this is one of the best stages of the home gardening cycle...the planning. Its pretty exciting ; planning, ordering, etc. And then, after that reality sets in...did I germinate too much, too little. And then the battle with the weather, pests and disease. Its like the best game ever.

Oops, now I've got to go pour some of that un-home made spirited grape juice while I look at my seeds and plan some more.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #14
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

february can be a nasty month here.

we try to go outside every day regardless of the weather. my son and i will take a walk or do snowball fights which involves running and chasing. dress in layers, and go out and have some fun. we still have march and april for snow months to get through. six more weeks of winter means twelve or more for us. i try not to think about.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

It was cold here to Gary. I had to put on a short sleeve blouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamal1.jpg (285.2 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg yamal3.jpg (120.6 KB, 228 views)
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote