Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2013   #1
kwikwater
Tomatovillian™

Default Fruit Set in Heat

My tomatoes are starting to blossom and it looks like we're in for a long spell of 90-95 degree days with nights around 60. A lot of source indicate this shouldn't be enough heat to reduce fruit set. I'm wondering if putting some 30% shade cloth would be beneficial?? Seems like we have to wait for the summer monsoon season here in W. Colo before we get fruit, then there's not enough time for ripening. Any suggestions are welcome!!! Thanks All.

Kelvin
kwikwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kelvin,

I'm in Albuquerque where the temperature has been between 93 and 100 for the past couple of weeks. A couple of weeks ago I lost a bunch of blossoms so I set up a 30% shade on one garden where I have 34 plants, and I left another 24 plants in other areas unshaded. Quite honestly I can't say I see much difference between the condition of any of the plants whether shaded or unshaded. I can say it is more comfortable hanging around under the shade.
I've also been using the toothbrush pollinator I learned here and I have been having noticeably better fruit setting since.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Don't wait for the monsoon. Start watering them a little on the heavy side and give them a little fertilizer. Whatever you do don't let the soil get too dry when they are blooming in the heat or the blooms will just fall off.

We rarely see days below 90 after April and frequently see 100s in mid summer. I still get fruit set on many of my plants by giving them a lot of extra water. Of course once you get larger fruit you can't keep watering or you risk splitting or bland tomatoes. Due to illness I missed watering for a few days when it was in the upper 90s and lost a ton of blooms as a result. The blooms above those are now setting fruit because I haven't let the soil get too dry since. That is the main reason I don't like container planting with tomatoes. It only takes missing watering one time and all the blooms will fall off due to the stress the plant is under when it dries out.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat; fruit set;