Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 31, 2019   #1
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Default So Last Year

I froze whole tomatoes for the first time. After using a couple bags this winter I may buy a new freezer just for tomatoes. So much easier than canning, and I must say that the flavor was like using fresh tomatoes.

Sure you can't slice them for a sandwich or salad, but they were perfect for chili, pasta sauce, and jambalaya. Just about anything I would use canned tomatoes for, the frozen ones would work also.

The only issue (not for us) is that the seeds are removed from most of my canned tomatoes unless I can them whole.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've been freezing the surplus tomatoes too, and no can of tomatoes has been bought since then! Not only they work as well as canned, but the flavor is so much better.
Works great for paella, and you can even make gazpacho with frozen toms that is fantastic.
I still buy a tiny can of paste to bump up the tomato thickness in chili.
Frozen toms are also a great addition to curry.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #3
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Gazpacho! Now you're making me hungry.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #4
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I've frozen cherry tomatoes for many years and they work very well. I don't freeze large tomatoes because they would take up all my freezer space quickly.

I buy canned, crushed tomatoes in the winter for use instead of having garden tomatoes. I don't know why, but the crushed tomatoes seem to retain more real tomato flavor than diced or paste or sauce in cans. My only complaint about crushed tomatoes is they only see to be available in larger can sizes. If they are diced or steamed or any other style, they are available in many can sizes.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote