Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 5, 2016   #1
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

Last edited by Ant123mon; May 5, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Ant123mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #2
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

Last edited by Ant123mon; May 5, 2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old May 5, 2016   #3
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

Last edited by Ant123mon; May 5, 2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old May 5, 2016   #4
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

nice. What light setup are you using?
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #5
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

I deleted the pics because I was so upset some of them were upside down and so large, I will redo them after I learn how to properly post them, anyhow I started with halides, then used high pressure sodiums when they flowered, then after a few electric bills I switched to leds
Old May 6, 2016   #6
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

pics of indoor grow room, I had a real nice message but deleted it all because I loaded my pics upside down sideways and what not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.JPG (30.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.JPG (43.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.JPG (246.3 KB, 76 views)
Old May 6, 2016   #7
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

some random pics, everything is hydroponic started from seed, the grow room is sealed it has a a/c unit, dehumidifier, co2 injection 5 led light fixtures, and a controller for temp, humidity, and co2 levels, all that and I'm lucky to get 12 tomatoes a month, I guess I'll keep practicing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.JPG (113.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.JPG (206.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.JPG (99.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.JPG (54.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.JPG (100.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0029.JPG (105.0 KB, 74 views)
Old May 6, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You've done some great work.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; May 6, 2016 at 12:43 AM.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #9
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

I started with 2 1000 watt and 2 600 watt lights hps m/h switchable ballast they did good but it's a constant battle between heat and space, I must admit I may have done better with those high wattage lights, but they rack up a pretty large electric bill, the LEDs do pretty good there's about 3600 watts of led lights that only uses about half that actual wattage, it's a struggle because the heat that room produces is insane even with the LEDs, and the humidity is insane, my dehumidifier pulls out about 5 gallons of humiditity out of the room every 24 hours. Every time you change something there's another problem created from the change, for example I had those hps lights going and I vented the room outdoors, as soon as summer came I called the hvac guy cause I thought my houses a/c unit was broke he claimed it was because I was sucking all the cool air out of my house and blowing it outside, he was right, so simply you'd think we'll bring air in from outside and return it outside but in Colorado it's either 10 degrees or a 100 degrees exp were I live, 10 degrees is bad for lights and the 100degrees isn't helping either, so I figured I'll get all LEDs a dehumidifier a room ac unit that sucks air from garage and returns hot air to garage ( which has is nice in winter my garage is heated ) that seems to work best thousands of dollars later, on the subject of 1000 watt lights one of those lights, top of line huge reflector could hardly cover a 3ft by 3ft area after the plants mature, I definitely appreciate your input but I have already tried that
Anthony
Ps all input is appreciated
Old May 6, 2016   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It would be more economical to use outside air for cooling, dehumidifying, and co2 exchange. Cut a hole to the outside, and mount a blower to pull in outside air, through flexible ducting if necessary.
Old May 6, 2016   #11
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

The problem with pulling air from outdoors to cool a room and I say cool because the room never needs to be heated due to the heat from lights, is that today the temp outside was 86 degrees in a month it will be mid 90s a month after that it will be 100s that would turn that room into a attic when you add the heat the room already gives off, I've had some success venting the room outdoors but then it sucks either all the heat or the ac out of my house and pushes it outside, which at first didn't seem like a big deal to me until I thought my houses central air was broken because the house was on a average 6 degrees hotter then the year before and the a/c for the house couldn't achieve the desired setting. it's equal to leaving your front door open and trying to cool your house to 68 degrees on a 100 degree day, just doesn't work. Also you can't have a negative pressure in the room so what you take out air wise you must replenish. I really enjoy my indoor garden and outdoor at that, but it's a balancing act that I'm in the making of figuring out. Your ideas are great truly good ideas and I do appreciate the input, I wouldn't have already tried it had I not thought it was a solid plan
Anthony
Old May 6, 2016   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You could put your lights in an air-cooled hood, run the outside air through the hood, and just shut everything off during the day when it's hot.

Alternatively, the area outside the room could be used to house a big homemade water tank, and you could get into all sorts of science project water-cooling ideas.
Old May 6, 2016   #13
Ant123mon
Tomatovillian™

That's a pretty good idea, what about humidity though? If your only cooling lights we still are suck with 5 gallons of water floating around a 12-10ft room daily, due to mold and other unimagined issues such as trading my house for tomatoes hahaha, you have it figured out but humidity is a issue. If you run a dehumidifier they produce heat as a byproduct, originally I thought I could dehumidify without the ac unit, that's when I changed to a sealed room, next day I was stuck buying the a/c unit
Old May 6, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Doesn't the AC act as a dehumidifier? Water should be dripping out the back of it.
Old May 6, 2016   #15
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Wow, your setup is amazing
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote