Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2014   #1
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default growth tips forming from tomato clusters

i don't have a camera right now but i can post a pic of what im talking about later but it's pretty self explanatory. i've got at least one, or maybe two tomato plants that have flower clusters as usual but then at the end of the clusters a new growth tip is growing, looks just like a sucker but growing from the end of the cluster. is this something normal that i just haven't seen before(i've only grown a couple hundred tomato plants ever).

i have no idea what kind of tomato it is all my labels got lost between cats and kids
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've had several plants do this over the years. Never really took note of which ones. This year I think I've seen it on two plants. I'll check to see which ones they are next time I go out to the garden.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #3
jakebb
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year and I've seen this on several plants so far, but mostly on my Black Krims. Something I found interesting was that these clusters were some of the first to appear and set fruit.
jakebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #4
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

black krim is one of the ones that i had, could be it, if it is i'll know when the fruit is done it's the only blackish tomato i planted
Old July 4, 2014   #5
Wil SC
Tomatovillian™

I had something similar happen with Rutgers. The flower clusters started as normal but instead of flowers I got one dwarf leaf at each node. The cluster stem never grew larger like a sucker and the plants never produced flowers, just the sick little leaf in place. I blamed it on bad genetics (questionable seed source) but I really don't know the cause.

All the other tomatoes of different varities produced normally in the same bed, so I don't think it was enviromental.
Wil SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #6
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

these are setting fruit it's just a weird structure. the way this one is is like a branch, the cluster isn't so much a cluster as it is single blooms coming straight off the branch at random places, then at the end the branch ends up being a growth tip
Old July 5, 2014   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I rook a look today and so far this is happening on at least one flower/fruit cluster on Wes, Federle, Romeo and Work Release Paste. It looks like it may also be showing up on Speckled Roman and Tarasenko 6.

Santa Maria and Liguria are just growing leaves out of the end of several flower clusters (no growth tip ).

I thought it was just one or two until I started looking for it!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #8
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Old July 6, 2014   #9
Cinnamon
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year of 'serious' tomato growing.

My Zapotec pleated had stems growing from the tips of several trusses. I removed them. My Indigo rose is growing leaflets off the base of leaflet blades. (Hmm, forgotten what that bit of a plant is called.)
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote