Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 16, 2015   #1
charline
Tomatovillian™

Default multifloras

I would like to grow some multifloras next season and I am interested what you have grown and how it tasted. I am always looking for tasty varieties....

so far I have Barrys Crazy Cherry that I like very much, I have rosa quartz multiflora but not grown yet, I had Ildi but was not tasty enough for me , will not grow it again.
I would like to have Yellow centiflor hypertress but dont know anything about the taste.
Is there an orange multiflora?
others?

oh, forgot, I have Kozula 14 megagron, will grow that one for sure

Last edited by charline; November 16, 2015 at 04:47 AM.
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #2
Sydney Grower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Charline,

I am growing an orange Cherry called Katinka that I am told is multiflora. Still waiting to see the results. The best start from a multiflora this season appears to be Flortis Cherry. No ripe fruit yet but enormous trusses of flowers and a good proportion setting fruit

Will let you know how Katinka performs and tastes.

Carl
Sydney Grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Yellow centiflor hypertress tastes like sungold to me. Even the leaves smell a little smoky like sungold. Blindfolded I probably couldn't tell them apart.

Obviously that is where the similarity ends. It was a short (2 foot) but well branched plant for me. The fruit was yellow and nippled. It was slower to spit out a ripe fruit.

More info on this is available in the cross talk forum from a prior seed offer. My remaining seeds are in the current MMMM swap.

I just acquired rose quartz too. Good luck with your project. You have some beautiful tomatoes. Lets compare notes on rose quartz next year.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Definitely have a look at Lisa's multiflora thread - it's very interesting. Ilex from Spain also provides some great discussion and pics of multiflora "de colgar" varieties. those are bigger than cherries but have the same amazing fruiting pattern... wow!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know of an orange multiflora but THE best yellow one I've grown, as to taste and ridiculously wonderful production is;

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Zluta_Kytice

I've grown several other multiflora's but you asked especially for yellow ones. And yes I have grown the Yellow Hypertress one that was bred along with the red one by Alan Kapuler, but IMO Zluta Kyticeis MUCH better inall ways, including taste.

I've been offering it in recent seed offers and my original source was Clara in Germany.

Carolyn, who had it grown for her in the backyard this past summer and it did not disappoint and Rob, who grows my plants for me brought many seedling so Martha and Angie and Cheryl also grew it and loved it as well as I did myself when I first grew it several years ago.
Old November 16, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Riesentraube and Yellow Riesentraube are both Multifloras http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Riesentraube

Riesentraube is an heirloom from Germany.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #7
charline
Tomatovillian™

thank you all for the suggestions

Carl, I am looking forward to your report about Katinka. I could get it here in a seed exchange.

Lisa, I hope I get some of your yellow centiflor in the MMMM swap....

Carolyn, may be I can get Zluta Kytice from you in your seed offer...

Robert, I have seeds for Riesentraube be I was unsure if I would like it as they describe it as more acid than sweet. Is this true?
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I can second Zluta Kytice, I gre it this year and it was very good. I have seeds if you'd like. Be forewarned though that these tomatoes are very small.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
thank you all for the suggestions

Carl, I am looking forward to your report about Katinka. I could get it here in a seed exchange.

Lisa, I hope I get some of your yellow centiflor in the MMMM swap....

Carolyn, may be I can get Zluta Kytice from you in your seed offer...

Robert, I have seeds for Riesentraube be I was unsure if I would like it as they describe it as more acid than sweet. Is this true?

Of course you can get it from me, especially since you have those other seeds ready to go that you were going to send to me for my upcoming seed offer.

You already sent me the Black Amber seeds ready to go, and with the others, that you had said wait until the Fall since you were growing them this past summer, so I am in your debt, so we'll have to work on that.

Remember?

Carolyn
Old November 16, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Charline, I'm pretty sure my Riesentraube seeds were a cross. It's the one I call VHS Cherry. It has a good balanced taste. = not too sweet or acidic.
Old November 16, 2015   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I have a question. Three not multiflora tomatoes blooming as multiflora. How is it possible?
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0104.JPG (183.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0218.JPG (184.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0110.JPG (144.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0216.JPG (175.8 KB, 129 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Riesentraube and Yellow Riesentraube are both Multifloras http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Riesentraube

Riesentraube is an heirloom from Germany.
Robert, actually it is not a German heirloom for it was grown in many countries and in Hungary it was actually known as Goat's T*t, or similar for the pointed end.

We have it in German b'c it was Curtis Choplin, a former SSE member, now deceased, who got it from the German SeedBank at Gatersleben, thus the German spelling.

Yellow Riesentraube came from ONE fruit on a red plant, thus a somatic mutation, and I think that was first SSE listed many years ago. I just checked and it was first SSE listed in 2000.

And a surprise you can of course ignore as you have others that I suggest you can ignore:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Brutus

It didn't grow as large for Tania as it did for Vladimir from the Czech Republic who got about 2 # fruits, he posts here a lot, and yes I have seeds for it that will be listed in my next seed offer,

Carolyn
Old November 16, 2015   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you for that info Carolyn. Goat's T_t I will look that one up today.

I really like the pictures of Brutus sliced. Ignore...
Old November 16, 2015   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Definitely have a look at Lisa's multiflora thread - it's very interesting. Ilex from Spain also provides some great discussion and pics of multiflora "de colgar" varieties. those are bigger than cherries but have the same amazing fruiting pattern... wow!
I remember the thread very well since I did a few posts there,

Ilex is a listed SSS member and is currently listing about 73 varieties. We've made contact and I've asked for quite a few varieties and left it to him to choose most for me.

Yes, I asked for the one shown on post #47 here or similar Colgar ones, also any GWRones, Verdal is from Spain, but what I would like most of all are the large beefsteak shaped fruited ones I never knew about that come in many different colors,

Vladimir in the Czech Republic has been doing a project on Spanish varieties and his thread is a long one here, and is also very interesting with lots of pictures.Vladimir sent me seeds for several varieties and I told Ilex which ones so there wouldn't be any duplicates.

So it looks like next summers seed production will have a Spanish theme in which case I need to relearn

Besame mucho!

Carolyn
Old November 16, 2015   #15
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Vladimir. Excellent fertilizer?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote