Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 24, 2013   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default green stripes (gs) observations

I'm now convinced that the rich variation in striping patterns conditioned by "gs" is heavily influenced by other genetic factors. Color of the stripes (yellow vs green) for example seems to be related to gf - but there are also other striping color patterns that are harder to explain. In addition to color of stripes, there is ample variation in pattern and boldness of striping - and much of this is heritable. I'm posting one photo showing an out of the ordinary pattern of striping - but there are dozens more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3174.jpg (321.7 KB, 46 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Not surprising -- I remember in grad school in the heyday of cloning genes. Traits were typically said to be "controlled" by a single gene (in papers written by the cloners of the all important DNA sequence).

Now, of course, the same folks who touted their "all-controlling" gene for a trait are getting funding to do genomics studies on the gene "families" that are involved with the trait, and also all of the myriad of regulators of their original gene and all of the family members as well.

As with everything else, once life was simple, and then it wasn't.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #3
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I did a cursory search but didn't find anything. Has the gs gene been cloned? Does anyone know what it is?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It looks to me (after a cursory google search) that gs is Tom Wagners name for a gene that is probably not mapped.

In fact, there seems to be another set of generally recognized gs genes in tomato (in the scientific literature) -- the glutamine synthetase genes.

If Tom, or someone else, published a description of the gs gene in a peer reviewed journal, the Glutamine Synthetase folks need to re-name their genes. If he did not, the gs gene for green stripes needs to be re-named.

There is no indication, on first glance, that gs has been clearly shown to be a particular DNA sequence.
Old August 24, 2013   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Re-naming gs for green stripes could be as simple as calling it gr for GReen stripes, or something similar.
Old August 24, 2013   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
It looks to me (after a cursory google search) that gs is Tom Wagners name for a gene that is probably not mapped.

In fact, there seems to be another set of generally recognized gs genes in tomato (in the scientific literature) -- the glutamine synthetase genes.

If Tom, or someone else, published a description of the gs gene in a peer reviewed journal, the Glutamine Synthetase folks need to re-name their genes. If he did not, the gs gene for green stripes needs to be re-named.

There is no indication, on first glance, that gs has been clearly shown to be a particular DNA sequence.
gs is listed on the TGRC gene list, and available in several TGRC assessions - the first iisted in 1952. TGRC also reports the gene is on the short arm of chromosome 7, but I doubt it has been cloned. Somewhere I read a report from the late 1940s or early 1950's about someone first identifying the naturally occurring mutation and reporting on its inheritance (before Tom's time).
Old August 24, 2013   #7
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

That's all I could find as well. Could have sworn I had seen a reference to it being mapped at low resolution and some possible link to transposons.

Gene naming has been screwy for a very long time...check out the Drosophila literature some time!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old August 24, 2013   #8
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
That's all I could find as well. Could have sworn I had seen a reference to it being mapped at low resolution and some possible link to transposons.

Gene naming has been screwy for a very long time...check out the Drosophila literature some time!
There was a recent paper suggesting linkage of gs to a transposon as a possible explanation to unexpected segregation in crosses with gs/gs lines. I think that for the tomato research community the TGRC list is the go-to source for gene names/nicknames.
Old August 24, 2013   #9
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

See page 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
There was a recent paper suggesting linkage of gs to a transposon as a possible explanation to unexpected segregation in crosses with gs/gs lines. I think that for the tomato research community the TGRC list is the go-to source for gene names/nicknames.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tomato Genetics Cooperative Volume50.pdf (570.6 KB, 11 views)

Old August 24, 2013   #10
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
gs is listed on the TGRC gene list, and available in several TGRC assessions - the first iisted in 1952. TGRC also reports the gene is on the short arm of chromosome 7, but I doubt it has been cloned. Somewhere I read a report from the late 1940s or early 1950's about someone first identifying the naturally occurring mutation and reporting on its inheritance (before Tom's time).
The glutamine synthetase folks should rename!