Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2012   #1
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Default leaf curl on seedlings

So this is my first year planting seeds. The foliage on my Earl's Faux seedlings are displaying a type of leaf curl. Is there something definitely wrong or do can some seedlings from certain tomato types act in the manner? The outer leaves (I forget what they are called) are drooping and the first set of true leaves are twisted.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady5 View Post
So this is my first year planting seeds. The foliage on my Earl's Faux seedlings are displaying a type of leaf curl. Is there something definitely wrong or do can some seedlings from certain tomato types act in the manner? The outer leaves (I forget what they are called) are drooping and the first set of true leaves are twisted.
I just ignore it for almost always the foliage straightens itself out.

There is a difference between Leaf Curl and Leaf Roll if you Google those terms, but the latter is more associated with an aphid problem.
Old April 2, 2012   #3
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Last year my Amish paste did something like that. I had given several to a friend and he actually pulled all of his out and tossed them because they looked so odd.

I couldn't do that and it was a good thing! Those two plants ended up being two of my better producers. (and were quite tasty!) One was at least eight feet tall. Still don't know why they looked so strange, but I'm growing them this year from seed saved last year. We'll see what happens.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #4
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the information. I'll ride it out and see how it goes. Thanks!
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #5
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I had pepper plants that all had curly leaves...I did the Epsom salts treatment and most straightened out. They all are huge plants now and loaded with fruit. I have to "take what I can get" for potting mix here in Mexico so who knows what it is lacking...All my Mexican friends think it's hysterical that I "buy" dirt... (The number of times that they say "Crazy Gringa" list is getting pretty long...)
Old April 3, 2012   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

"Crazy Gringa" ...I'll have to remember that one! lol

I had some potato leaf seedlings that did that weird sort of twist with some of the leaves too. Still have not figured it out, but some seem to do it when they are a bit stressed or dry. I watered them today and a few straightened right up.

If they are not completely dead, I'll never throw a plant out!