Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 6, 2016   #1
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default advice sought: seed saver / organizer

With this only being the beginning of my second year starting seeds indoors, my little rice bowl (for saving seed) is at max capacity. . . plus it's not organized in any way!! What I have: a bowl of uncooked rice that I work the seed packages (standing "up") down into, the whole thing put in my crisper drawer. . . the crisper drawer is only used for this purpose and also contains an electronically re-chargable of drier crystal thingies and a few humidity strips. The temp is about 40 something (whatever refrigerators usually are) and the humidity is about 20%.

I need: a relatively inexpensive and effective, BASiC seed organizer.

Would a recipe organizer-type that would go into my crisper be good....effective?

Should I get an organizer that should be stored elsewhere. . if so, store it WHERE? (I have no out buildings, garage, attic......)

Can someone reccommend a site to visit, to find an organizer??
RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I have seen Delerium and a few others use a 3 ring binder with the plastic pages for baseball cards. I actually just got me one and started organizing it myself. Makes it much easier and you can even buy the little tab pages and organize by color or whatever you want. I just keep my seeds in the closet.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A 2 inch binder holds 400 tomato seed packs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0062.JPG (48.7 KB, 109 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #4
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I use a plastic accordion file about 5X8 from office depot made for filing checks by month. It has 13 pockets and I file alphabetically by name. AB_CD_EF_GH etc
works well for me. Probably about 500 packets in it now. I also file all seeds in coin envelopes for neatness and uniformity.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #5
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I have a box, a bin, and a couple small bags... filled with plastic 2.5 ml vials. I used to use glass vials, but then I realized the problem I would have if they broke. I used to tape an identification label to the outside, but then I realized the problem I would have if the vials were ever exposed to water... Now I place a piece of paper with information inside each vial. I keep the whole collection inside, away from temperature extremes or light. The seeds might last longer at lower temperatures, but I've had sufficient success without refrigeration.

If you store them in the crisper, make sure they're dry and placed in plastic containers first. When removing them, make sure they warm up to room temperature before opening the plastic to avoid condensation on the seeds. But really, refrigeration would only be needed for long-term storage. As long as you keep them dry, away from light, and away from heat, they should last quite well.
Old January 7, 2016   #6
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

This was a Christmas gift. Once I figure out how I will be aranging things on the list I will start filling vials. Super excited. I can add another level or more canisters if necesary. The spreadsheet is saved for easy updates. This setup is much more "3 year old" proof than baggies and envelopes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2723.jpg (140.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2727.jpg (141.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2724.jpg (146.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2722.jpg (154.2 KB, 74 views)
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #7
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

This is what I use. Found on Amazon.

ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #8
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking to upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seed organizer.jpg (63.2 KB, 64 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #9
MrsTroppo
Tomatovillian™

I used to use a binder with baseball card sheets and zipper pockets. I decided it's too heavy. I only have 200 or so seed bags, so I bought CD organizers. I like CD storage bag better than flipping heavy pages of baseball card sheets.
MrsTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote