Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Planted out today

After looking at Weather Underground and seeing that not much is really going to change over the next week, I decided to go ahead and plant them today. Not quite 6 weeks old yet but good enough size for planting. 17 in the ground with 3 spots left. Hoping to give 2 of those spots to Goose Creek and Improved Summertime but it depends on what they look like in the next few days. Otherwise I will double up on a couple of varieties or maybe even pick up a Chef Jeff plant to throw in the mix.

edit to add that the overall forecast changed just a bit since yesterday. May have a night or two to worry about

Last edited by duajones; February 26, 2009 at 06:20 PM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The warm weather here has made me throw caution to the wind. I bought 3 seedlings at a local nursery -- Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and Rutgers. I planted them all today and intend to protect them with row cover, sheets, etc. as necessary. Hopefully I get a few tomatoes in April.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I was sucked in today (1/18) as well by the warm weather. Went to Bloomers just up the road to see what they had available.

They have some really nice looking, large seedlings in 4" pots. I got a Cherokee Purple and a Brandywine. Planted them in 15 gal pots, will protect as necessary. Also picked up Jetsonic (more out of curiosity than anything else) and will plant that one tomorrow.

For anyone in the greater Austin or Bastrop area looking for plants, here is what I remember seeing there:

Amish Paste
Beefsteak (hard to say what it is, maybe Crimson Cushion, etc.)
Better Boy
BHN 444
Black
Black Krim
Brandywine
Caspian Pink
Cherokee Purple
German Johnson PL
German Red Strawberry
Golden Gem
Green Zebra
Homestead 24
Husky Red Cherry
Jet Star
Jetsonic
Jubilee
Juliet
Large Red Cherry
Mr. Stripey
Orange Jubilee
Orange Strawberry
Porter
Purple Russian
Razzleberry
Red Zebra
Siberian
Supersweet 100
Tiny Tim
Viva Italia

There were some other vars I might have missed. Also, they had a great selection of pepper plants, both hot and sweet - as well as other vegetables.

Last edited by Suze; March 4, 2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: adding more varieties
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #4
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
The warm weather here has made me throw caution to the wind. I bought 3 seedlings at a local nursery -- Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and Rutgers. I planted them all today and intend to protect them with row cover, sheets, etc. as necessary. Hopefully I get a few tomatoes in April.
Feldon, where did ya find the Brandywine and Cherokee Purple? Those are two that I didnt have seeds for.
Thanks

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I got them at RCW Nurseries at the corner of 249 and Beltway 8.

They have a great selection of different thymes and herbs. Their basil was picked over but they had Bush Spicy Globe which is an awesome basil variety. Lots of little leaves.

They also have a fantastic selection of organic and non-organic products from Microlife to TomatoTone to various liquid and powdered fertilizers, compost, etc.

Here in the next week or two they should be available at virtually every Houston Plants & Garden World, Houston Garden Centers, and some other nurseries as well.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old February 18, 2009   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
edit to add that the overall forecast changed just a bit since yesterday. May have a night or two to worry about
Yep, try and protect. Get some row cover (not summer weight/thickness) and wrap your cages in it, and leave or put enough at the top so you can close them up if need be - something like that. Or blankets, sheets, etc.

My main plantings will go in around 3/7, but of course you have a little more leeway in Corpus than I do. Still thinking you will have to make arrangements to protect at least a time or two, though.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My budget wont allow much more spending at this point but I do have blankets, sheets etc. that are for this purpose only. I use them to wrap the cages and then use garbage bags over the top through the stake supports that I use to stabilize the cages. Its a pain in the but to cover and uncover but worth it in the end

edit to add that I put the cages over the plants as soon as I plant because there are a couple of dogs here that would trample them quickly if I didnt. The large lab would run right through the cages if I didnt stabilize them with large stakes. I will put temporary fencing around the areas in the next couple days and that keeps them out of the areas to prevent the trampling as well as them using the area to potty. It has worked well the past couple seasons

Last edited by duajones; February 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2009   #8
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

I hate all of you texas people!!!!

I just got to start seeds last week.
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2009   #9
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Double J, I was thinking the same thing!

Edit to add: only 6 more weeks to seed starting!!!
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2009   #10
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Don't hate on texas! I have to wait until at least the second week of March! Will have temps hit 25 at night on March first here it looks like. Just think of it this way..while we are waiting for our fall plants to start you are going to be eating and laughing at us.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2009   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

You're waiting until the 2nd week of March for Jacksonville, TX? hmm

Old February 19, 2009   #12
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

AIYEE!!! Feldon has planted! It is The Sign!!!

Tomorrow: out with remaining broccoli (soup for dinner!!!), on with the cottonseed meal and superphosphate, till till and furrow, and then into the ground with the larger (7"+) transplants I've been hardening. That would be the Black Krims, the Persimmons, and the Moonglow. The smaller CPs that I rescued from my friends' compost heap will have to wait, they are too short still. Also will put the Golden zukes that early-sprouted into the ground, they're at transplant stage anyway.

Oh, and just using Green Light starter solution on each one. Had good luck last time I used it.
Old February 19, 2009   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Could hit 32 tonight. I placed 3 upside-down large containers over top of the plants and put a brick on each to secure it. Hopefully they'll stay warm enough.

Old February 20, 2009   #14
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

A couple of years ago it snowed on April 1st. I thought it was an April fools joke at first when my husband told me to look out the window. The county agent suggested planting out on March 15th for tomato plants. Do you think that is too late? I looked at the extended forcast and the weather will be very unpredictable the next few weeks. Next several nights will be in the 30's. Well looking at the extended they have taken out the 25 degrees on March 1st and replaced it with 61. I think they just make this stuff up!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2009   #15
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I got them at RCW Nurseries at the corner of 249 and Beltway 8.

They have a great selection of different thymes and herbs. Their basil was picked over but they had Bush Spicy Globe which is an awesome basil variety. Lots of little leaves.

They also have a fantastic selection of organic and non-organic products from Microlife to TomatoTone to various liquid and powdered fertilizers, compost, etc.

Here in the next week or two they should be available at virtually every Houston Plants & Garden World, Houston Garden Centers, and some other nurseries as well.
I'm headed to RCW this morning!! Thanks for that info. You would think folks up this far north would have something to offer but even the Lowe's in Tomball doesnt even have tomato plants yet.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote