Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 22, 2008   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default My Tomato Container Growout 2008

Here's what I'm growing in containers this year. Ami

Serenty F2
Sweet Dreams F2
PPPxPP "C"
Spudakee Purple
Brandywine x NAR F2/ 1ea RL, 1ea PL
Norms Peach x Rouge D'Iraq
Brads Black Heart
Black Mystery
Scabitha
Japan Tomato Tree
Ceman
Ludmilla's Pink Heart
Ludmilla's Red Plum
Tom's Yellow Wonder
Stump Of The World
Kellogs Breakfast x AKW F4
Rhoades Heirloom
Orange Strawberry (Beefsteak)
Indian Stripe x Sungold F2
Golden Cherokee
German Head
Unnamed Hungarian Heirloom Ind.
Unnamed Hungarian Heirloom Det.
"Big Chief" Brandywine Sudduth Cross F2
Old November 6, 2008   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default growout

I was wondering how all those tomatoes did in containers?
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2008   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes Ami, How did TYW do in a container?

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2008   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Kat and Greg. I had very good results even though August and September were wet with little sunshine.

Serenity and Sweet Dreams were outstanding and Tanya and I will continue the growouts of both.

My PL's Spudakee Purple, Japan Tomato Tree, Stump of the World and "Big Chief" were all excellent producers with the taste to match.

Brads Black Heart and Black Mystery also were good producers with very good flavor.

The Unnamed Hungarian Heirlooms both punched out the tomatoes with a down to earth real tomato taste. They are a truly universal tomato that can be eaten fresh or preserved. No wonder they are still being grown since the mid 1800's.

The Ludmilla's were really impessive especially the Red Plum. It just kept on producing all season long and from 2 plants I had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with. The Pink Heart even though I planted it late really came on at the end and had several 1pounders and both with very good flavor.

The Brandywine x NAR F2 from PapaVic is truly an outstanding tomato. The PL Red still has tomatoes on the plant as others have succumbed to the near freezing nights we have had lately. Better than expected production with great taste. The RL plant was a bust. Grow outs will continue.

Tom's Yellow Wonder was another high point this year as the plant hit 10 feet in a 7 gal container and just punched out the maters. Great taste with many over the 1lb range with both heart/oxheart shaped toms along with beefsteak shapes as well.

German Head and Oleyar's German were great producers with excellent taste to go with. Will grow again!

Rhoades Heirloom and Golden Cherokee were also quite good and the plants were both about 4 feet tall. Rhoades being a bicolor and Cherokee going from orange to a orange/red bicolor when allowed to get a little over ripe. Good Production especially Rhoades.

The Kellogs Breakfast x Akers West Virgina aka Kellogs West Virginia from Mark Korney was another surprise as it just loaded up with tomatoes. I counted 50+ on my plant and size being anywhere from Pool ball to tennis ball size. I really like the flavor of this variety.

Orange Strawberry put out a lot of hearts and a few beefsteak
shaped toms with a nice sweet tomato flavor. Will grow again.

Ceman did not do that well for me and PPPxPP "C" was a bust.

As you can see I had a wide variety of Tomatoes grown in containers no larger than 7gal in size. I allowed them to grow and did not remove any suckers. Bioferts were used along with mycorrhizae and Actinovate was used for disease control. And yes, they got a lot of TLC. My initials BTW. Ami
Old November 6, 2008   #5
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the reply

I am considering using some self watering containers in the 10-18 gallon tote size next year. I am so glad it can be done. Really appreciate your info and suggestions! Now to just find those two products you suggested.
Kat
Old November 6, 2008   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

kat

You can order MycoGrow from Fungi Perfecti on line. Also, you can order Actinovate at Worms Way (although I am unhappy with their $10. shipping charge for a 2 ounce package.)

While Actinovate worked well for me this year, I can't (from my own experience with mal-formed fruit) recommend Myco-Grow at this time. Just my own unscientific experience. I'll be happy to send you half of the remaining Myco-Grow I have, for you to experiment with. Just send me a PM.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2008   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

kat, you can order Actinovate from the following site that is located in your state. Remember, a little goes along way.

I have yet to see any malformed fruit on my growouts that can be attributed to mycorrhizae or have I read anything to indicate that mycorrhizae can cause this condition. I have gotten malformed fruit in isolated instances which is normal but evidently Ray had a plant that all the fruit were misshapen. Take him up on his free offer! Ami

http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/products.asp?dept=7

Click on plant health in the left column and you will find Actinovate there.

Here is the site Ray was quoting concerning MycoGrow.

http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html

When purchasing mycorrhizae products it's the one's that contain "Endomycorrhizal Fungi" that we want for growing vegetables. Ami

Last edited by amideutch; November 7, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2008   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks!

I thank Both of you for your responses. I am looking up the links now. Yes I am taking Ray up on the offer. I think I am going to read that book the $64.00 Tomato because I was looking at this season. I actually have a 15.00 orange . It was 30 last year but now tree has produced another single orange this season. I am certain it all comes back to soil health. Very sandy. Probably no nutrients. I did add compost this season and I am hopefull in a few years it will be very good soil. Until then it will be containers and raised beds. And prior to supplementing next season I will take soil and have a professional test it. I am on a quest. I will grow great tomatoes! If anything it will be on shear willpower alone
Kat