Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 3, 2009   #1
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Default first year using 72 cell covered seed starter

Hi Garden Friends,

This is my first year using the 72 cell covered seed starter set. I have pellets, moss pots, and plastic cells.

I am testing using it over a heat vent on a low plastic vented shelf instead of heat mat. I do have a heat mat but I think it will overheat if I use it.

I was wondering if someone sucessful using these could post a photo to show me how much water to put at the bottom, as I don't want to over water or mold. . I am using dilited second bag cammomile tea for mist and at the bottom.

Thanks...

Thanks so much.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2009   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I don't use pellets or peat/moss pots to start seeds, although I have played around with both a few times in the past. Honestly, I don't really care for either one, but then others do just fine with them and like them.

Anyhow, I have found that seedlings grow and develop the best when allowed to dry out almost completely between waterings. The reason why is that roots follow water and nutrients, and if the medium is kept overly moist and/or overfertilized, there is not much incentive for roots to seek out and grow towards what they need. Also, keeping the mix too wet can lead to damping off.

If bottom watering, pour some water into the tray below, let it wick up until you see that some has made it up to the surface of your flats, then go ahead and pour out any excess. Or just add a little at a time until you see that enough has been wicked up, if it is impractical to pour the excess out for whatever reason. In any case, don't let your seedling flats just set in a tray of water for an extended period of time.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2009   #3
johno
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Suze: water 'till they stop soaking it up, then pour off excess. Let dry between waterings.

Depending on the humidity in your house, that might mean watering daily, or only 2 - 3 times a week.

Chammomile tea is a good idea to help prevent damping-off. I do that until the seedlings have a few sets of leaves.

I have used the 72 count peat pellet flats numerous times, and find that they work very well for getting the plants up and running. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure I like the netting - it seems to impede root development starting around potting up time. I tear or clip the netting when I repot...

Not too sure if the warm air vents will work as well as direct heat? Do you have a thermometer to check that with?
Old January 3, 2009   #4
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Do u use the tray with holes in it for seed starting or only to plant. The pots dont touch the bottom of the water so I took them out of the strainer trayjust soaked them now.
Old January 3, 2009   #5
johno
Tomatovillian™

Hmm... Maybe I'm not understanding your system? Do you have a pic of it or a link to the company?
Old January 3, 2009   #6
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Its the Jiffy system and the planters pride system. I am trying all three, plastic pots, peat pots and the pellets. The question is this rack below, is that just for moving them around? I got some them from the guy who sold me the light set up and I was wondering if they go inside or the cells and try only.

Thanks.

Old January 5, 2009   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

With the peat pots make sure you cut off the pot or put the pot completely under the ground or it will wick up the water and it will evaporate.

I use the Jiffy Trays and I like them.
THE only problem I have is that they have little holes in the middle and the seeds will fall to the bottom and not come up.

I water when the top half dries out and I use the tray at the bottom.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2009   #8
johno
Tomatovillian™

The tray in the first picture is for the square peat pots. Obviously, it doesn't hold water... so maybe you can find a solid tray that it will fit into for soaking periodically. It doesn't need to be a perfecet fit - you could even set it in the bathtub or a Rubbermaid tub, anything that holds water. After bottom-waterings, the ventilated tray allows the peat pots to breathe underneath so they are less likely to mold.
Old January 9, 2009   #9
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much. I did just a big enough tray for that.