Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2008   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Super Marmande = Ugly????

I grew 4 Ugly tomato plants last year from seeds I purchased and had strange results in that they produced heart-shaped fruits and not too many of them. They were not beefsteaks. I see the company I bought the seeds from is not offering them this year. I think I read somewhere that Marmande may be the Ugly tomato sold in grocery stores that last few years. Anyone know for sure? Anyone ever try Super Marmande?? I got seeds last year for $.30 a pack but never planted any. Any and all opinions on this variety would be appreciated.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've grown both Marmande and Super Marmande, and the fruits I got did not look like the Ugly tomatoes. They tended to be a bit smaller and more regular in shape, though still a bit lobed, and oblate. They are insanely productive varieties - flavor is fairly good.
Old February 18, 2008   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Marmande is the variety the Procacci Bros used to create what they called Ugly Ripe.

The variety Ugly is different, and while the exact name is not known it's felt to be one of the costolutos ( means ribbed) from Italy. From FL.

The Procacci's bought out the Ugly folks, ahem, so as to eliminate the competition. The procacci's are also the ones who made it impossible for any seeds of Santa F1, the best known of the Grape tomatoes, to be sold in the US.
Old February 18, 2008   #4
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

Zapotec Pink Ribbed is a very 'ugly' tomato. I often wondered if the 'Mr Ugly' plants sold in Australia were a rename of that variety.
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote