Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 17, 2008   #1
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Peppers in a Pot

I'm growing Islander, Fish, Black Hungarian, and Alma Paprika .....all new and unknown to me (and to everyone else around here ). I figure my best chance of getting fruit from them is to move them into my greenhouse (will plant a few in the ground too) but am wondering how big a pot each variety will need and what kind of soil they'd be happy with (I've got Pro Mix....does it need anything else mixed in???).

Mirabel Osler

Last edited by Lilypon; May 17, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

5-10 gallons has worked for me for peppers.

Pro-Mix is great soil. I do add about 10% shredded pine bark and 10% compost. Then I add 2/3 cup of slow-release fertilizer like TomatoTone or GardenTone, as well as dolomitic lime to nip BER in the bud.

Because of the effect of water flushing nutrients out of the soil, plan on feeding your peppers right around the time of their heaviest fruitset.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008   #3
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Feldon!

Mirabel Osler
Old May 17, 2008   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Remember to either set up a fan in the greenhouse to move the plants so they can set fruit, or gently shake them once a day or more.
Old May 17, 2008   #5
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering if that would work ...... thank you for covering a question I would have asked later on Michael!

Mirabel Osler
Old May 17, 2008   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Happy to help. As your season gets on, pls post in the undercover gardening forum about how your peppers do.
Old May 17, 2008   #7
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

I'll be happy to Michael (if I don't kill them in the meantime)...already managed to kill 1/4 of my maters (another 1/4 is struggling). So far the peppers are tickled pink with life in the greenhouse so am crossing fingers and toes for their, and mine, continued success.

Mirabel Osler
Old May 18, 2008   #8
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing peppers and tomatoes in containers for years too. As already mentioned, you'll have to fertilise more, although slow release ones cut down a bit on the frequency in pots/containers. Peppers seem to prefer that their feet aren't sitting in water, so let your containers drain into saucers and then recycle the outflow elsewhere.

Of the ones that you're growing only Islander is one that I haven't. The others have all done well for me in pots/containers. Good luck.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008   #9
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for letting me know that growing them in pots worked well for you Zana (and good to know about the drainage....though I do try to careful that it occurs). I'll also be sure to follow the directions re fertilizer.

Feldon, or anyone else that knows (for sure) will Larch/Fir bark work instead of shredded pine bark? Shredded pine bark isn't available here but the other is (if we still lived up north finding the pine wouldn't be a problem). There used to be a wonderful soil amendment that I could buy that had the pine but I couldn't find it at any garden centre this year.

Mirabel Osler