Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2019   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default BT Question?

I like using BT for my tomato, cabbage, peppers & cukes for caterpillars & moths larva, last year I had Japanese beetles for the 1st time. I used sevien powder and it took care of them but I'd like to try a milder cure will BT offer any relief? If not any recommendations?

Last edited by Jetstar; June 21, 2019 at 07:21 PM.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019   #2
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I don't believe so. It's main targets are the worm-like critters but there is the variation for use on Colorado Potato Beetles. Haven't heard of a variation targeting JB's.

This year the JB's have totally ignored the roses (that's a first) and are working hard on the pole bean leaves at the top of the trellis (never done that before). And on the eggplant. Go figure. I can't reach the trellis top so knocking them off into a soap water cup doesn't work. And although I do that with the eggplant, more just arrive so it's pretty useless.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019   #3
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

BT will not control adult Japanese beetles. However, spinosad - another bacterial based control - should. I started using Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew this year.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019   #4
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Spinosad is one alternative. Another that I use is Cold Pressed Neem oil. Neem oil works great for chewing insects like Japanese beetles. It also works as a contact control for sucking insects and some diseases. I will use BT, Neem, and spinosad through the year depending on what problems I am seeing.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote