Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2018   #1
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds saved via fermenting are almost black

Well, the heat is getting up there in Phoenix, and most of my plants are dying off, so I've started saving seeds from a couple of my varieties using the fermentation method.

For the variety I call 'Zelinda's Pear' - A very nice pinkish piriform variety I grew from seeds I kept from a tomato I brought back from Australia - I squeezed a couple inedible tomatoes into a small container and left them to ferment for a few days, but when I got back to them, they've all gone very dark, almost black.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've never had this happen before, so I'm not sure what the impact is going to be. Are the seeds ruined?

Old May 25, 2018   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look Rotten unfortunately. You can try to germinate a few but I think it is doubtful they will grow
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #3
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Yeah that was my concern.. I've never seen fermenting seeds take this kind of turn before. I do plan to plant a few of them this weekend to see if I get germination, and I'm also going to start a second batch of seeds fermenting tonight. I have, at best, 2 more seeds of this variety left over from my initial collection, so I absolutely cannot risk not getting a new good batch saved.
Old May 25, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
Well, the heat is getting up there in Phoenix, and most of my plants are dying off, so I've started saving seeds from a couple of my varieties using the fermentation method.

For the variety I call 'Zelinda's Pear' - A very nice pinkish piriform variety I grew from seeds I kept from a tomato I brought back from Australia - I squeezed a couple inedible tomatoes into a small container and left them to ferment for a few days, but when I got back to them, they've all gone very dark, almost black.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've never had this happen before, so I'm not sure what the impact is going to be. Are the seeds ruined?

Yes I have and yes the seeds are no good at all if they are almost black.

When fermenting you never want to let the container get dry,but sometimes it can't be helped,I know that, but rarely does it happen.

One time I had set up some fermentations, "stuff' happened and I couldn't continue so gave those containers to someone else to finish them off if you will.

Well she did finish them off as in RIP.

I used one pint plastic deli containers when doing fermentations, so there was lots of debris in there and liquid as well and once the fermentations started, which I could see with bubbles clinging to the inside of the plastic, and that mold layer had formed on top,I just let them go until there were no more bubbles.

But yes,there were times when someone had sent me as few as 3-5 seeds and so I had to set them up in a very small container, and watch them very carefully to be sure they didn't dry down.

If seeds turn a dark brown but not black, there's still hope.I know since I've been able to"lazarize", that is bring them back from being dead a few times.

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You could take a few of your next batch and just wash them in Oxi-Clean, rubbing them gently on a strainer to rub off the gel. Those ought to be viable. You might not prefer that method, but you'll end up with living seeds.Then ferment the rest as usual. If you don't have successful fermentation you'll still have a few viable.

Also, do test your black seeds in case there's some small % of germination.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
You could take a few of your next batch and just wash them in Oxi-Clean, rubbing them gently on a strainer to rub off the gel. Those ought to be viable. You might not prefer that method, but you'll end up with living seeds.Then ferment the rest as usual. If you don't have successful fermentation you'll still have a few viable.

Also, do test your black seeds in case there's some small % of germination.

Nan
Nan, Oxi-clean and Comet and any other methods using oxidative processes can only be used to get any surface tomato pathogens off the seed surface, hopefully, so I don't see how they could help do anything to the interior of a seed, as in the embryo, as related to seed viability..

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2018   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That's right, they won't turn the seeds black like the OP's fermenting did.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #8
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Had that happen the first or second time I fermented seeds, but not since. Those first times I left them outside and they flash dried in the heat...by flash I mean sometime between days 4 and 8, LOL. They kept drying up and I kept adding water, right up until I forgot about them.

I have since learned that 2-3 days is all that should be needed if done properly on our kitchen windowsill, the smell is not an issue, and they all seem to clean up nicely and sprout just fine. My big challenge is letting them dry on unwaxed paper plates without flipping them, mixing them, blowing them off with a fan, or outright losing them, possibly to canine paper fetish.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote