Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 30, 2018   #1
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Default Stock Tanks, Buckets, Pots and Bags

90% of my garden is in ground and the rest in various containers. Any size plant can be grown in a tank or big tub. Dwarfs and determinate tomatoes do great in larger size pots. Fabric and plastic bags can make a super pepper plant. The last few years I've been using $1 plastic bags from IKEA placed inside old wire milk crates. These hold around 12 gallons of mix.

Can any of you container growers share your methods. Simple, down home,repurposed containers that are cheap or free. I have not spent more than a dollar for any container and that includes 100 plus gallon stock tanks bought at auction. Yes, I am very cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0880.jpg (652.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0881.jpg (643.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0878.jpg (455.5 KB, 109 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Nothing wrong with being thrifty or frugal. Great ideas for recyling used items that can often be found for free. A couple of garden centers nearby has large bins containing all sizes of used pots, trays, and carriers including those from large trees & shrubs and encourages customers to add to them or take them home for free.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I can get unlimited 55 gallon food safe plastic drums from a local apple juice distributor. Check around and if there is one near you they will be happy to give them to you.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Picked up several very large tree containers from the landscape guys on a jobsite for free.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

This has been discussed elsewhere, but what do you use for a medium for these large containers? I spent a small fortune in potting soil a few years ago, not to mention lugging those huge bails home.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #6
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

The large containers were originally filled with a leaf mold, composted material and horse manure. Spent soil mixes from smaller pots and bags are added every year along with more leaves, wood ash, etc. I'd guess leaves make up 50% of the mix. I just continue to add what seems to work for me.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Old January 31, 2018   #7
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

So when these huge stock tanks or 55 gal drums are used, do you drill holes in the bottom?
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #8
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Yes, all containers have holes for drainage.
Old January 31, 2018   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It may be relevant to note that you live in Illinois - like me. I think it gets cold enough here in the winter so that one may re-use media. But for our friends in warmer climates, I think doing so could lead to bug and disease problems, without taking further precautions such as solarization.

There's a product for goldfish ponds called Pond-zyme. It is supposed to be the enzymes that break down dead organic matter and convert it into available nutrients. I haven't trialed it side-by-side on old media, but it makes sense to me to use. The stuff is meant for ponds, so a $12 pint container would be a lifetime supply for a gardener. It also contains barley, which will prevent algae in any standing water.

Here's one link to the pond-zyme. I bought mine on amazon:
https://webbsonline.com/Item/08146?g...iABEgJecfD_BwE
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #10
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I haven't trialed it side-by-side on old media

Maybe you should! I'm sure we'd love to hear your results and conclusions.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #11
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

My soils are free of any noticeable disease. I think weather could be the key factor but cultural practices also play a big role. No native soil is used in these containers.
Any small pot or bag is dumped at the end of the growing season. Horse manure is added to this pile. Leaves, etc. is mixed in at a good 50-50 rate as the smaller bags and pots are filled up in spring.
I lose 15% to 20% of soil volume during the growing season do to organic breakdown. Nothing is added and plants do very well. Worms are also plentiful and are acive in all size containers.
Other than drought or too much rain our 7 month growing season is pretty darn good. It also doesn't hurt to be sitting on top of some of the best growing soils in the world.
Old January 31, 2018   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have used just about every available container for plants.. including the milk crate lined with a bag. I used a cut up compost bag for mine, used it to repot overwintered leeks - with some fish guts onboard. They loved it.

My biggest containers are mostly "fish tubs". They came originally from the fish plant, with caplin onboard. They are great for big fruited indeterminates and semi-determinates. I have some other large size containers mostly repurposed "totes" that I got on sale for $5 or less. But they haven't held up so well, some plastics are more brittle and have limited tolerance of freezing thawing and etc. in our climate. You can only get 3-4 years out of them if not emptied and moved indoors.
One size of tote I really like, they are black ten gallon containers I got at Dollarama, which are great for the growouts where you have to select your best plant, Plant two and cut back the loser to keep the winner going in late season. Smaller fruited especially do great in these. And I have a blue 'recycle' tote that will take two cherries as well.

For 5 gal and smaller containers I've used everything from washbuckets to sandpails. Sandpail is still my favorite container for an early spring crop of peppers indoors. They are deep but narrow so the footprint is small but still enough room for nutes and roots. Peppers seem to like the narrow profile as well and if they produce a sandpail-ful of peppers I think they've done alright. And of course you can plant them outdoors for a second crop if the season turns out to be decent. The plastic on these is not very durable either, but since they're so small it's no sweat to empty and stack them inside for the next year.
From what I have learned by experience, I have a much better idea of what will or won't survive for long as a pot. Heavier and/or more flexible stuff is what I would look for. I must admit, the very cheapest horticulture pots are simply the best for surviving our winters. They are thin and flexible but somehow leathery tough. Well drained too. I do have one really large one I borrowed from the farm, big enough for a tomato or four.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #13
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Your "fish tubs" sound like the heavy guage plastic tanks used for AG applications. Behlen makes one that would last a lifetime of gardening. I see these at farm auctions but they go for a lot more than a beat up galvanized tank.

I'm with you on the cheap nursery pots. The flexible ones seem to last as long as the heavier tree tubs.
Old January 31, 2018   #14
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've had the fish tubs for at least 20 years. There are a few damages but basically, they were made to take a lot of punishment.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote