Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2016   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Gree zebra alternatives? (F1?)

Are there any other green striped varieties like green zebra (striped yellow skin with green flesh) , in the same size category? (or bigger) Also, any hybrids? (is a f1 hybrid possible without both parents looking like a green zebra?). The only hybrid I found is Tiverta F1 from Gautier, but by the looks of it seems to be yellow fleshed (the yellow part of the skin is predominant).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

A good OP is Cherokee Lime Stripes.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #3
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Zebra Rita is an excellent alternative. Not quite as bitey and the tomatoes are a bit larger. It is harder to tell when they are ripe, though, because the yellow coloring is not as pronounced.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Are there any other green striped varieties like green zebra (striped yellow skin with green flesh) , in the same size category? (or bigger) Also, any hybrids? (is a f1 hybrid possible without both parents looking like a green zebra?). The only hybrid I found is Tiverta F1 from Gautier, but by the looks of it seems to be yellow fleshed (the yellow part of the skin is predominant).
I highly suggest Green Zebra Cherry

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...n_Zebra_Cherry

I got it from Reinhard Kraft In Germany and he got it from Manfred Hahm, an associate of his.

Manfred had bought a pint of mixed cherries in a store and really liked the small striped one.

Reinhard traced it back to the Netherlands but no more info. And nothing to assume it's related to the original Green Zebra at all,it sure isn't taste-wise,being much better IMO.

I SSE listed it and offered it in many seed offers.I do not like the original Green Zebra,and Tom Wagner knows that,so be it.

So please consider Green Zebra Cherry.

I didn't check Tania's link to see who might be listing it but you can always go to the Wanted Seed Subforum and ask for it.

Carolyn
Old June 21, 2016   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

TGS and Heritage Seed Market have seeds.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Green zebra cherry, and it is the variety with the most impressive thick skin I have ever seen.

Basically this question was because I ate recently the best tomato ever created and since it is a green zebra lookalike, I thought that it shouldn't be too difficult to narrow it down.

It's from Saveol's 'Collection gourmande' package, basically a non-cherry various colour mix, made in Bretagne, also for sale here in Germany. It has the mistery green striped, some black small beefsteak completely tasteless, a pale yellow like Azoychka, but not as flattened, as good as the best of azoychkas and a fantastic red cocktail size. Probably the best commercial tomato package I've seen. I cannot describe how good the green striped was, it was perfect, and very strong rich tomato flavour with no aftertaste.

The tomato looked exactly like the one in the first picture seen here: http://www.saveol.com/fr/produits/co...gourmande.html
I thought it could be Tiverta since it's unlikely they would use a non-hybrid, but the stripes were not as strong, or as yellow (as the few available pictures at least).
Old June 21, 2016   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Green has produced very well for me for the 2 summers I've grown it. Beautiful, especially when cut. Very tasty, large fruit 1/2 pound or bigger. Check it out.

Dewayne
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #8
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I have grown Green zebra cherry, and it is the variety with the most impressive thick skin I have ever seen.

Basically this question was because I ate recently the best tomato ever created and since it is a green zebra lookalike, I thought that it shouldn't be too difficult to narrow it down.

It's from Saveol's 'Collection gourmande' package, basically a non-cherry various colour mix, made in Bretagne, also for sale here in Germany. It has the mistery green striped, some black small beefsteak completely tasteless, a pale yellow like Azoychka, but not as flattened, as good as the best of azoychkas and a fantastic red cocktail size. Probably the best commercial tomato package I've seen. I cannot describe how good the green striped was, it was perfect, and very strong rich tomato flavour with no aftertaste.

The tomato looked exactly like the one in the first picture seen here: http://www.saveol.com/fr/produits/co...gourmande.html
I thought it could be Tiverta since it's unlikely they would use a non-hybrid, but the stripes were not as strong, or as yellow (as the few available pictures at least).
Those look lovely. Could it be Tigreen? That's one of the varieties mentioned in the list.
I wish we could get such gourmet tomatoes in our supermarkets... Sometimes we get interesting looking ones from Spain (Chocmande and Kumato cherry).. But not such assortements. One more reason to grow them from seed!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #9
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Don't a lot of produce companies simply rename existing varieties for marketing purposes?
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #10
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Looks too small to be Lucinda.

Tom Wagner has produced improved Green Zebras, and I am sure some of them are circulating. It may be one of his improved Green Zebra lines.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Don't a lot of produce companies simply rename existing varieties for marketing purposes?
Yeah, Tigreen is just a brand name unfortunately.
Old June 21, 2016   #12
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I'm with Carolyn, in that I don't really care for the flavor of Green Zebra. I'm working with one from the dwarf project that looks like GZ, but is sweeter, less tangy. Depending on how they do this year, I may send seeds back to Craig to send out for others to evaluate at the end of the season.
Old July 13, 2016   #13
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

Did you save seeds?
Old July 13, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I am liking Zebra Rita.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #15
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Indeed I saved seeds and will grow next year to see what I get.