Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2017   #1
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Default Need to raise my raised beds

I have raised beds for my tomatoes, thank goodness! We are in our second rain event in less than a week. We had 5 inches earlier in the week and now another 4+ just today alone, looking for a 6-8 inch total by tomorrow morning.

I'd probably be looking for my tomato plants down the street if they weren't in raised beds.

Hope you all are having better weather.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have so many friends that gave up entirely on gardening because of Spring rains here.
Mud pits April, May, June.
I can't plant till the middle/end of April but my raised beds are covered and waiting weed
free and well drained being raised.

Early peas and such are in and hopefully not too wet but i just re-seed anywho weekly
just in case they get soggy and rot.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had 4" of rain last night, standing water between rows, and I could be out there planting right now if I wanted, thanks to the raised bed concept. By contrast, no one will be able to even walk in our tilled gardens for the rest of the week.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #4
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I had 4" of rain last night, standing water between rows, and I could be out there planting right now if I wanted, thanks to the raised bed concept. By contrast, no one will be able to even walk in our tilled gardens for the rest of the week.
That's great Cole! Plants are prolly better off too.. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #5
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemansker View Post
I have raised beds for my tomatoes, thank goodness! We are in our second rain event in less than a week. We had 5 inches earlier in the week and now another 4+ just today alone, looking for a 6-8 inch total by tomorrow morning.

I'd probably be looking for my tomato plants down the street if they weren't in raised beds.

Hope you all are having better weather.
Mike, I am paddling in the same boat. I am glad I made raised rows in my raised bed this year and I think all is good here. I was worried about hail today, but it didn't happen. Lots of flooding going on with multiple rescues and more rain expected. I hope you fair well.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote