Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2017   #1
Don S
Tomatovillian™

Default A proposal for a Tomato Datasheet

As an aid to choosing which tomatoes to grow this year, I mocked up an Excel datasheet containing abbreviated descriptions of the color, shape, size, season, growth type, parents, height, leaf type, yield, taste, origin and disease resistance of (so far) 500 varieties culled from reference books and web sites. So far it seems helpful even though some of the information is subjective, but I need your advice as to whether an expanded version would be of use to the gardening community.

If you have a copy of Microsoft Excel and would be willing to let me know your opinion on this beta-test version, please send a message to dshirer@att.net with your email address and I will send you a copy of the Excel datasheet plus a Word file suggesting how to use it.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #2
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I think it is a great idea and considered putting one together but not tout it as exhaustive since I am not an experienced grower.

You may want to consider moving the spreadsheet to google drive, post a link and then request feedback here or on the spreadsheet itself. You can still let the excel version be the master copy for the time being.

Are you capturing data on heat tolerance?
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #3
Don S
Tomatovillian™

I did not want to post it on a public site until it had been vetted by others, but I'll gladly send it to anyone on request. I tentatively thought the final version could be placed on Dropbox, but your suggestion of the Google site sounds good too. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.
And yes, there is a mention in the datasheet for a few varieties said to be "heat resistant" or "sets fruit well in hot weather".
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your offer, Don. Very timely as I am going to inventory seed soon.
Email sent.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heirloom tomato , hybrid tomato , tomato data