Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2016   #1
RwhideSmith
Tomatovillian™

Default RL or PL Cowlicks

I planted some Cowlicks Brandywine seed I was able to obtain, and in one planting I noticed I have both PL and a couple RL seedlings. Is this the normal? Or did I obtain seed that might not be true?
RwhideSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #2
Locomatto
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine (Cowlicks) should be a PL tomato. The RL seedlings are either the result of a hybrid or are stray seeds.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w..._Cowlick's
Locomatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #3
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RwhideSmith View Post
I planted some Cowlicks Brandywine seed I was able to obtain, and in one planting I noticed I have both PL and a couple RL seedlings. Is this the normal? Or did I obtain seed that might not be true?
In that situation I'd wonder if the seed was true.

However, Camochef (the person who found/named/first distributed the particularly good strain of PL Pink Brandywine that he obtained from Cowlick's nursery) did mention having grown RL Cowlick's -- sent to him by someone to whom he'd sent seeds, I believe. My understanding is that the RL version has been distributed a bit but is much less common than the PL version.

So the best thing to do, if possible, might be to check with your seed source and see whether or not they were one of the few who did grow both RL and PL Cowlick's and go from there.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I miss Camo.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I miss Camo.
He's doing well,I've been in contact with him about another variety,he started a couple of threads at idig, but then never came back.Mike has a need to have everyone,well,pay attention to him and when that doesn't happen he leaves.I can remember many years when he would do all his assesments of the varieties he grew and what salts and spices he added to the cut fruits,and many years when he just stopped posting b'c no one was paying much attention to him.

This was the last post Mike made here in 2015

(Allow me say one more thing about Cowlick's Brandywine.
Never have I tried to claim it was a strain or anything other than a Pink Brandywine.

The only place I can find it being called that is here in this forum on this thread, by the person that's complaining the most about it. The only other place is on Tatiana's website where she incorrectly calls it a strain. She also has a statement giving its "history" which uses my name instead of "camochef". I never intended my name to be associated with Cowlick's and was quite annoyed when I discovered it. Knowing who submitted the seeds to her, I assume he also wrote the information. Which I am not pleased about. This occurred many years ago and I didn't find out about it to much later, so it's water under the bridge now.

I'm already seeing things being said in this thread that are mis-quotes of what I said. Apparently, there are people out there that cannot read or at least comprehend what they read. So be that, too. I try to be polite and complete in my answers to others, but the world has changed much in the past ten years or so, and I just don't need the aggravation. Therefore, I intend to leave this forum, like many others in the past. Hope all real gardeners have a great season ahead and the aggregators reap what they sow!
Goodbye
Camo)

Carolyn
Old April 3, 2016   #6
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I did not realize Camo left under those circumstances. Kind of sad to read...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2016   #7
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I miss Camo.
Me, too, Salt.

There are many reasons people stop posting -- a major one being developing a preference for spending their time on "real world" things -- or on crops other than tomatoes.

But sometimes they come back, at least for occasional visits, if they think that some will be interested in what they say, or not, but will refrain from attributing to them views and motivations they've never expressed and do not possess.

Perhaps if we concentrate very hard and chant "I believe in Camos, I believe in Camos, I believe in Camos." <~~ concentrating

And I suspect that sprinkling seed of a rare and magnificent variety of beans about would be more efficacious than magic powder.

Perhaps with a recipe for marinating them in brandy and serving them with a compatible wine?

Bodacious Brandywine Beans?

It is sad when people who have something unique and thoughtful to say go away. Those who vex them don't care, but others do care, and miss their interesting observations.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote