Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2016   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default New in the catalogue .. Any experiences?

When browsing local seed catalogue for fun (not planning on purchasing any more tomato seeds..!), I noticed several new varieties.
Has anyone in TomVille ever grown any of these?

Sweetbaby - a cherry, praised as a very prolific variety with many fruits in the truss..
I wonder if it's a hybrid or OP - ... the description calls it 'Unique'. (of course, over-the-top praises are common with any variety!)

Yellow Mimi - a F1 cherry. Again, long trusses.. I wonder what is so new and exciting about this...

Red Profusion - a red fruite cherry that grows similar to Tumbling Tom etc.

Always interesting to see what the catalogues have each year and what varieties are available here. (This shop is actually located in Sweden not in my country.. but Scandinavia nonetheless)

Edit: SweetBaby - at least two different kinds of tomato under this name. The one at Burpee is describes as 'compact', while a few other sources describe SweetBaby as a tall variety. Hmmm.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; January 15, 2016 at 08:53 AM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I personally won't grow any new variety unless and until it is fully reviewed by gardeners/growers.
Catalogs always say nice things.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

How many times can a wheel be re-invented?! I wonder when reading the glowing descriptions...
Old January 15, 2016   #4
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

There are two varieties with similar names, Sweet Baby and Sweet Baby Girl. I believe both are hybrids and that Sweet Baby Girl is the short one (Tomato Growers Supply described it as a compact indeterminate.) I grow transplants and people seemed enthusiastic about both of them (although they don't fight each other for them like they do with Sungold and Sunpeach).
Old January 16, 2016   #5
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

I've grown yellow mini for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Very productive, thin skinned, excellent flavor, and no splits. Used to grow Ildi or Morning Lights for a yellow cherry, won't go back. Buy my seeds from Johnnys, I think they're the ones that developed it.

Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #6
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

This is the Sweet Baby (Suttons site)
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/V...aby_182154.htm

bitterwort, your guess is correct... SWG is the shorter, more compact one... It is called 'the sweetest cherry tomatoe ever' somewhere. (Aren't they all the best, the sweetest, the easiest ever...!)
Old January 16, 2016   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I agree with you guys! It's like the newest Driver...they all add 10-15 yards every year! I should be hitting it 800 yards by now!!

BUT I get suckered in every now and then like the heirloom marriage series. Trying Cherokee Carbon this year!

Like many, I have my go-to varieties. Mostly heirlooms.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote