Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2016   #1
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf miners

Has anyone have trouble with leaf miners? I have about 20 plants ready to be put in Earth Boxes and fabric grow bags. They are large and lush. But this morning I found leaf miner lines on about 4-5 of these. I picked off the affected leaves but I wonder what is the right thing to do. Also, these are all on a screened in patio. How did the miners get there? Are the plants diseased? Should I throw them away? What are preventative measures?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
Has anyone have trouble with leaf miners? I have about 20 plants ready to be put in Earth Boxes and fabric grow bags. They are large and lush. But this morning I found leaf miner lines on about 4-5 of these. I picked off the affected leaves but I wonder what is the right thing to do. Also, these are all on a screened in patio. How did the miners get there? Are the plants diseased? Should I throw them away? What are preventative measures?
Sure, all of us in Florida have leaf miner issues. They are the larva of leaf miner flies. Get yourself some yellow sticky traps. The Seabright Labs brand are the best, they attract leaf miner flies, and whiteflies too, and that particular brand wont get lizards and even eorse, birds stuck to it. I cheaped out for a dollar once, and there were 2 adult lizards hortibly stuck to it, and I like lizards, they eat bugs. Freed them up, left for an hour, and a bird was stuck to it. Several flight feathers got pulled out freeing it up. A very horrible day.
Anyways, you can get them at Amazon. I put them out every 5 feet. The tiny flies you see are whiteflies.
They are strongly attracted to the yellow color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (168.1 KB, 122 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #3
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Take Marsha's advice. I will only use the Seabright Labs brand. I am using 1 card per plant since January. It didn't seem buggy then, my cards still caught a lot of bugs. Now I can tell it is getting buggier out; they look like the one Marsha posted in 2 days.

Buy the cards you will need now and then stock up when they are a better price.

I even saw a white fly over the weekend.

Suppose to get a cool front tomorrow.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #4
Mushimi
Tomatovillian™

Not on my tomatoes, but my citrus trees are leaf miner magnets - which is probably why they leave the tomatoes alone. Anyway, Spinosad works very well, and BT will work in a pinch.
Mushimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I too grow some softer delicate's inside a pool enclosure.I place some traps outside of doors to and inside.Seems some follow or get blown in when doors are in use.I also found some worn screen openings that I repaired.Once inside they have a field day with un-tethered no predator feeding grounds.Sticky traps between door and plants stops most of them.As mentioned above Spinosad works but I can't use chemicals since I live a a agri-area and bees are a conflict for outside and mutts inside/outside of pool area.See where they are at outside and control them there.
Old March 21, 2016   #6
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I used the Seabright Labs sticky traps last year and they worked great.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #7
Hulamom
Tomatovillian™

Spinosad is organic and very effective in killing leaf miners and preventing them. I've used it for the last 5 yrs.
Hulamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Do those of you who use Spinosad understand how it gets into the leaf to get at the miners? Can you explain that to me, I don't see how, trying to understand.

As far as organic, I don't think you can get more organic than a sticky trap, which never touches the plant at all. I find that once they are in place, you dont have to replace them the whole season, and its one less thing to have to spray for. I like easy.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #9
elight
Tomatovillian™

I agree with what everyone else said. The yellow sticky traps and spinosad (I used Captain Jack's Dead Bug) have been totally effective for me. I think that proximity to citrus trees was an issue; I moved some pots 10' away this spring and I think that's probably helped too.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #10
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamom View Post
Spinosad is organic and very effective in killing leaf miners and preventing them. I've used it for the last 5 yrs.
Don't you have to worry about it getting into the fruit?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #11
cajun33
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamom View Post
Spinosad is great, however, it should be applied in the late afternoon to avoid harming honeybees.
cajun33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #12
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default In a perfect world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Do those of you who use Spinosad understand how it gets into the leaf to get at the miners? Can you explain that to me, I don't see how, trying to understand.

As far as organic, I don't think you can get more organic than a sticky trap, which never touches the plant at all. I find that once they are in place, you dont have to replace them the whole season, and its one less thing to have to spray for. I like easy.
If the leaves are coated (after foliar spraying)with trace amounts of the Spinosad(dried powdery), when the adult pierces the plant(feeding) or even when eggs are injected hopefully the Spinosad will transfer to miner,start growing inside the critter and eventually kill it.
Old March 22, 2016   #13
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

spinosad is trans-linear goes into the leaf but will not trans-locate to new growth. it will last about 14 days. I've used it for 4 years mainly for worms but it dose stop leaf miners and I see dead aphid and white fly on the plants. I don't know if it would control a heavy infestation of aphid or white fly
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #14
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I've got some leaf miners doing their thing, and they seem to really like the plants close to the citrus trees, so it's Neem/BT time. Do you guys think a combo of BT and Neem can disrupt the leaf miners? Not mixed together. Will also have sticky traps as part of the regimen.

Finally have the whiteflies under control on my tomato plants, but I'm thinking they might be running for cover into the citrus trees, so l'm gonna Met52 everything too.

Alternating each at 3-4 day intervals.

What's the best deal for Spinosad, Monterey or the Southern AG? Is there a 3rd option?

Armory contains: Neem, BT, DE, Met52, Daconil and soon Spinosad. Slowly but surely the less toxic arsenal is growing, and I must say it's fun to wage war with bacteria and fungi as weapons, especially when I envision the invading rat B@s(@rd$ bursting open.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #15
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

I've always used Monterey . Spinosad will take the place of the BT you are using. spinsoad is the newest improved BT.
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote