Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 21, 2006   #1
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

Default WHAT ATE MY...

SWEET CORN!!!???

OK - so I know this isn't tomato-related, but just LOOK at what *SOMETHING* did to my corn patch! Didn't pull the ears down, just shredded the husks and then promptly ate the kernels off the corn.

This happened weeks ago, which is why everything looks so old nd dry - I am just getting around to showing you all!
We got some corn, as we stayed slightly ahead of the little ★★★★heads... but they moved right down the patch, from the early to the later. I mean the WHOLE patch. We are lucky to have gotten 4 dozen ears from 8 thirty-foot rows of corn!!!

So - what do you think? Ideas? Anyone ever seen anything like this? Don't get too exotic here - this is south-central PA. This isn't like deer damage that I've seen...and I don't think raccoons would leave the ears still on and even upright on the stalk...

Of course, it's all too late now anyway, but I sure would like to know what you think!

(The corn was REALLY good, too... )
Teacher_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2006   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Corn Earworm - Damage to Sweet Corn

European Corn Borer - Damage to Sweet Corn

Department of Horticulture Fact sheets, publications and related links are educational resources for gardeners and do-it-yourself landscapers.

Department of Horticulture - Vegetable Crop Resources
Old August 22, 2006   #3
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Did you pull the husks down, or were they shredded and pulled down like that? I have never seen a borer remove the husks.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #4
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

No, I didn't pull the husks down - whatever ate it pulled the husks down. Shredded them, actually.

Nope - wasn't borers. I know those. I do not believe this was an insect at all.

Any other guesses?
Old August 22, 2006   #5
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Someone playing a dirty trick on you? That, or a Chimpanzee.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Racoons would be my guess... but I'd think they would
pull the whole stalk down.... Maybe their friendly racoons....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Raccoons would be my guess too. They have an opposing thumb like humans and are extremely smart and resourceful. I think if you left a pad and pen out in the corn they'd figure out how to write you a thank you note.

Tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #8
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it's some students that are really bummed that school is about to be back in session.

And no, I would suspect that racoons with pen and paper would leave some mocking limerick, not a thank you note.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #9
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

Raccoons - that was my guess too, but BIL and Dad thought they would AT LEAST pull the ear downwards when pulling on it, if not pull the whole stalk down. BIL actually guessed...SQUIRRELS.

Huh?

Yep - squirrels.

Now, that WOULD explain why the ear is still standing, but...do you REALLY think squirrels could or would do that much damage?

I'm still on raccoons, I think.
Old January 25, 2007   #10
johno
Tomatovillian™

Birds?
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #11
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I guess squirrels, too. They LOVE fresh sweet corn. I gave up trying to raise sweet corn because the squirrels would get more than we did. But I don't remember exactly what the squirrel-chomped ears looked like, so I can't say if they were husked like that.

Raccoons are a possibility because they love corn too, but I would think that the weight of an adult raccoon would pull the whole corn stalk right over. Cornstalks don't generally right themselves again after that, you have to pull them upright and hill up the soil around the stalks to get them to stay up.

I just discovered that crows and other birds will peel the shucks off, so birds could have done it. Here's a list of photos of crop damage by various critters :
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/...es/cropdamage/

Next year you could try doing what we did. A string tied to a buzzer was wrapped around all the cornstalks. When the critter climbed the cornstalk, that pulled the string tight and the buzzer went off. We'd all go tearing out to the corn patch yelling like maniacs and a squirrel would hightail it out of the corn. I don't know if birds would bend the cornstalks over far enough to pull the string, but any other critter probably would.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote