Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 11, 2015   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Maxibel maxed out

This year I planted two short rows of Maxibel beans around 18 ft each and used a small conduit rack to keep them upright. I planted the beans approximately 10 to 12 inches apart which is further apart than I have ever allowed. The crop this year has easily been double what I usually get from rows the same size and I must credit the extra room I allowed the plants. I had noticed the plants with the most beans on them were usually the end plants or plants where there was a big gap from poor germination of seed so I thought I would just give them lots of room and it worked.

I have also found somewhere that has supplied me with really fresh super high germination seeds finally. I ordered some from High Mowing seeds and the germination for the past two orders has been nearly 100% which is incredible for beans. I have been growing Maxibel for about a dozen years with great success except for germination problems which have plagued me until I started getting the seeds from High Mowing. I got sick of planting rows of beans with huge gaps when the seeds came up so I kept ordering til I found a good source. I hope they remain that good.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote