Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Campari

I remember someone mentioning saving seeds to plant, but couldnt find anything with a search. Just wondering if anyone has indeed grown them and what the results were. I recently saved seeds and am pondering giving them a try.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Here's another topic about it:
http://www.tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=1091

As much as people like adventure and experimenting here, I'm sure some people have saved seeds. Of course the big question is, after sorting out the seeds and growing for several years (see below dehybridization), will it taste better than any of dozens of tomato varieties?

Campari was chosen because it does well in greenhouses and has some taste after you torture it to death with refrigeration. Since I am not greenhouse growing or refrigerating, it may fall flat when compared to other similar varieties that were selected for flavor.

If Campari is a hybrid, then saved seeds would be F2. If you then grew some of those seeds into several tomato plants (which, if the hybrid was between two VERY different parents, then you will get wide variation between these tomato plants) and saved seeds from the one tomato plant that most resembled what you liked about Campari, that would be F3. Repeat with 10-20 tomato plants per year of each F-series so you get lots of examples to choose from and by F4 or F5, you should have something "stable" that would then be ok to send seeds out to people.

Of course if Campari is OP (open pollinated), then someone has already done all this work for you and seeds you save (assuming no cross-pollination) can be given out to anyone and get Campari.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote