Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 3, 2015   #1
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Default Help me narrow from 4 options!

Ok, I am 2 weeks away from seed starting and need to choose one of the following four tomatoes:

Sioux, Indian Stripe, Aunt Ginnt's Purple, or German Johnson potato leaf.

I prize intense flavor over all else, and my favorites thus far have been Brandywine Sudduth, Cherokee Purple, and Sun Gold. I'm in hot/humid Virginia and battle fungal diseases and blight every year, if that matters. With those things in mind, which of these four would you tell me to grow?

The rest of my grow list for 2015 include Brandywine Sudduth, red, and OTV; Cherokee purple, another mutant black from a generous TVillian, and carbon; stump of the world; Nepal; German Pink from my 95 year-old grandfather; KBX; lucky cross; green and pink Berkeley tie dye; Mexico midget; Coyote; sun gold; black cherry; Isis candy; purple bumble bee.

Thanks!
Jen

Last edited by kerns125; February 4, 2015 at 06:37 AM.
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

After looking at your list, you have a variety of Pinks and Purples similar to Indian Stripe, Aunt Ginny's, and German Johnson. I would choose Sioux. It would be your main cropper.
It is very productive, and has a good old time tomato flavor. I have grown it several times and it is a very reliable variety.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #3
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Unfortuantely the answers are going to be a little randomish. I'd go with German Johnson, because I believe you've got Sioux covered with Nepal, so I wouldn't do both if I had to limit myself, and possible duplication with Grandpa's wouldn't bother me since He's a must grow. That said, German Johnson was selected from tomatoes in your general area, and I actually would go with Sioux over Nepal, also for getting the hot weather edge which Sioux offers.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

J...I will not offer an opinion...because I am a semi-newbie. However, I sure hear good things about German Johnson. That being said...I love your list. I am growing Black Cherry, Lucky Cross, and Stump of the World for the first time this summer. How have those been for you? I tend to like the "intense" flavored ones (like Cherokee Purple) also.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #5
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your opinions, everyone! Does Sioux have essentially the same intensity as Nepal? I got the Nepal idea from Craig's new (awesome) book and since he is in NC I figured that would be good, but certainly not opposed to scrapping it in favor of Sioux if they are similarly flavored!

Ed, this is only my 4th summer growing, so Stump and Lucky Cross are both new for me. It will be my third time growing black cherry: the first year they were bland/watery and I thought a waste of time. I skipped them the following summer, but continuously read about how everyone loved them and found them to be one of the most flavorful tomatoes out there, so I decided to give them one more try last summer. This time I grew them in an Earthbox to ensure consistent watering, since it's possible I had overwatered the first year (I heard that can make black tomatoes taste watery, and my black krims were similarly bland that summer). They were indeed delicious, much better than any red cherry I had grown. Nothing beats Sun Gold IMO, but black cherry has earned a coveted re-grow spot in my limited-to-20-varieties garden.

Jen
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #6
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Jen,

I haven't grown Nepal, but grew Sioux last year. It was a great tasting tomato and one of my new favorites (although I say that about almost every new tomato I grow). This may sound weird, but my Sioux had a slight oniony aftertaste, which is one of the reasons I found it so appealing.

I'm growing Black Cherry for the first time this year in an Earthbox so it's good to know it performed well for you in one.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #7
natural
Tomatovillian™

For taste alone, my choice would be Aunt Ginny's Purple. Great flavor, produces well in the heat of the South, and stands up well to insects and disease. Plus, it is a potato-leaf variety, which will always score extra points with me .
My second choice would be Indian Stripe, however, you are already growing something similar (Cherokee Purple). Of course, you could grow Indian Stripe and Cherokee Purple and do a comparison. So many choices!
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #8
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerns125 View Post
Thanks for your opinions, everyone! Does Sioux have essentially the same intensity as Nepal? I got the Nepal idea from Craig's new (awesome) book and since he is in NC I figured that would be good, but certainly not opposed to scrapping it in favor of Sioux if they are similarly flavored!
Jen
I think the Nepal you mention was grown in the Main Line woodland suburbs of Philadelphia, not NC, in Dr. LeHoullier's book, and that it doesn't sound like he liked it much in later versions, more like it was just his "first time tomato".

Like creister mentioned, Sioux produces especially well in hot climates. It's up to you if you want to experiment and see what you like and does best. Sioux is a 70 year old American heirloom developed in the West as a heat tolerant tasty tomato. Nepal was first marketed according to Tatiana's, in 1987, as an OP by a commercial seed company. Taste ... is not dependable for Nepal and is going to be all over the map just like the names of these two Tomatoes. When I'm in doubt with I go for the more productive variety!
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I second the idea to sub Indian Stripe for Cherokee Purple. IS is just as tasty and more productive than CP. One of my faves!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

After trialing about 1,000 varieties, Aunt Ginny's Purple is my favorite tomato (about 4 out of every 5 years).

Brandywine Sudduth is my favorite in about 1 in 5 years. The weather needs to be just about perfect to bring out the full flavor of BS, and it doesn't happen often, here. AGP does much better, for me, in all sorts of weather.

While Pink Berkeley Tie Dye is basically the only striped tomato that I like, it's nowhere near the level of AGP and BS (in a good year), to me.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Shucks! Crossing PBTD off my list and searching for Aunt Ginny!

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; February 4, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old February 4, 2015   #12
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Labradors2 - say it isn't so!! More productive I can see, but better tasting than CP?? lol

For years, CP has been in my top 2. Trying Indian Stripe for the first time this year and have plans on growing them side by side!

BUT PBTD was my fav last year! I don't think I tasted anything like it. A flavor that lingered!
Can't wait for it again this year!

Will it top CP, KBX and Shannon's for flavor?? We'll see!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #13
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Greg,

I didn't say "better tasting", I said that it's "just as tasty", so don't go getting TOO excited . Great idea to grow them side-by-side though. I LOVED Cherokee Purple, and it was the first to fruit the year that I grew it, but production for me was very disappointing, so it's Indian Stripe for me now forever!

Linda
Old February 5, 2015   #14
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

You mention desiring "intense flavor". I'm not sure if that means sweet or tart. I'm partial to tart myself.
Anyway, German Johnson leans toward the sweet side. (Which is why so many incorrectly claim it to be "Low Acid".)

I would go with Indian Stripe so you can compare it side by side with Cherokee Purple. There's nothing better than a trial like that in your own garden to decide which you prefer!

Oh, and don't scrap Nepal. It is one of Craig's favorites grown here in NC.
This is from his "From the Vine" website:
Quote:
Nepal (heirloom) - my first favorite non-hybrid - a staple in my garden since 1987, medium round red fruit with an intense tomato flavor.

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

And Nepal was an insipid dud in my garden many years ago, just like nearly every red I trial.

After all, it's all about your garden, and your taste buds, not someone else's.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote