Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 3, 2007   #1
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Default Attn Carolyn & Craig - "White Queen" USDA?

Hi folks --

I was browsing the TomatoFest seed sale and, since I'm partial to some of the white and clear yellow varieties, I looked at the description of "White Queen." I hadn't realized that Craig and Carolyn did a grow-out of this one from USDA seeds, but am hoping that the description is correct on this one:
http://store.tomatofest.com/White_Queen_p/tf-0519.htm

BTW, the "sale" prices are still more than Sandhill prices, and with Sandhill, there's a lot less hype.

I have old seeds for White Queen, so it probably should make my growout list for next season.

-Betsy LT
betsylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I got White Queen out of the USDA in 1995, I believe, and shared seeds with Carolyn - we both grew it out and liked it as much if not better than other known whites at the time. I've traced the history back to the late 1930s as an Earl May release. don't believe the blurb in the Baker Creek catalog or William Woys Weaver's book - White Queen is NOT a Livingston variety (Golden Queen is Livingston's 1882 release - Livingston never did release a white tomato).

In all liklihood, it is an Early May selection of other known whites at the time, such as White Wonder.
Old January 3, 2007   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The blurb on White Queen looks OK to me, maybe a tad high on the size.

It still is my favorite white and to be honest I consider almost all the so called whites that I've grown to be novelty types and not to be grown for taste although White Queen does have some taste to it and it is the whitest that I've grown of many white varieties, most others turning to a pale to deeper yuellow.

The color of the whites is dependent on UV, the specific variety and the degree of foliage cover.

I think it's on my current seed offer list here at Tville, if I remember correctly. But the second reoffer is still closed.If I remember correctly I do think that Glenn at Sandhill lists it.