Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old November 11, 2014   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Home From Surgery - And The Fall EarthTainer "Farm" - Nov 11

Well, back home now after Hip Replacement surgery. Checked in Wednesday 7:00am. and was discharged Thursday afternoon - 31 hours later.

Amazing advances in medical technology - no stitches / staples instead they used a medical "super-glue" to seam the incision, Silver Nitrate waterproof bandage which does not need changing for the next 10 days.

So, all you Single Ladies under Sixty LOOKOUT! (Over Sixty OK if you can cook a good Steak Pizzaiola

Unfortunately, the EarthTainer Farm has been neglected for the past 6 weeks as I was unable to do any pruning:

The Carmello and Dona F1 plants are producing nicely:

A clump of Carmellos:

The Better Boys look like they will make it through Christmas:

Still have a few Bell Peppers:

And again Ladies, I am very serious about the Steak Pizzaiola offer! I'll supply the garden Tomatoes.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

So glad you got through it. Heal quickly!
Oh yes, I have a couple of MarNars doing very well right now in 7 gallon pots. Thank you again for the seeds.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ray-Glad to hear that your surgery went well.
Old November 11, 2014   #4
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ray,
Good to hear that your surgery went off without a hitch. Hope the recuperation is a breeze and that you can get back into your 'tainer garden sooner rather than later.

I'm envying your garden, regardless of the state in which it is in, because what I did have this year got killed off by early blight and by that point, I didn't have the heart or energy to start over....mainly due to my knees but also to do with other crap going on in my life over the past year. Anyway, I finally have a surgery date for my right knee...they're not going to do the replacement - just scope it out, clean it out and stitch it back up....but hopefully that will ease the grinding feeling I've had for more than 10 years. While they're in there they'll be able to get an eyeball on the state of the joint and decide whether or not the replacement should be sooner rather than much later. (I'm hoping sooner)

Hope you're back up and walking ...nah....dancing around soon!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Glad you're back and you can get your butt back into gear. I've never heard of steak Pizzaiola but I hope you find somebody to make it for you.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear the surgery went well. It is amazing how far things have come. My husband was in the hospital for just two days after his first knee replacement, and just a bit over 24 hours following his second one. Do your physical therapy and keep up with whatever exercises they prescribe -- they are key to a good recovery!

And Zana, I hope the scoping gives you some relief. My husband had each knee scoped twice in an effort to delay (not avoid) replacement. As time went by and the pain just kept getting worse, he finally consulted with a different surgeon who couldn't understand why his previous doctor had wasted so much of his time trying to put off the replacements. He's now four years post op on the left and three years post op on the right, and for the first time in decades he doesn't give his knees any thought.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Well, I am sending you good wishes. Sorry I can't help with the pizza stuff.. Hopefully you didn't get it the hard way like my dad a couple weeks ago. He stepped off a short retainer wall and missed steadying himself on my moms car and ended up flat on his side with a broken femur right at the socket. He was back up within 48 hours and on his feet. his recovery has been slower than he would like, but it is better than no recovery... same for you. Keep doing your therapy no matter how much you want to stop it.
Old November 11, 2014   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Wishing you a fast and complete recovery! And those tomatoes look pretty great I must say.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #9
Zana
Tomatovillian™

F'sD,
The crazy thing is I had MRI's in July/August of last year and met with the ortho surgeon in August. At which time he said they'd be booking a scoping of the right knee. LOL...I have to laugh, because otherwise I'd go crazy because months went by...and finally, after talking to my lawyer last week about something else, she suggested I call to remind them that I was still for a surgery date! So I called...and talk about a total screw up...the ortho had written into the file that they'd do the scoping, but hadn't written out the requisition form to book it, so it had slipped through the cracks! The receptionist then asked would I like the 3rd or 10th of December! I said 3rd, but then asked was it normal for them to be able to book so quickly...and she said yes. So I asked so, if the req had been put through last year in August after the appointment with the ortho, I should've been able to have had it done last fall(2013)??? She sheepishly said yes, sorry. Go figure. At least I don't have to pay for the surgery....other than having had to take percocets for the past year so often that I haven't been able to drive.

So I'm glad to hear that your husband's scoping helped somewhat. Fortunately all the good ortho's in town are all in the same practice. And I've now got the best one for knees. For years I was bounced around by a bunch of ortho's that wouldn't do anything other than prescribe meds or more physio. Oh joys!

It's funny my ex-bf had both of his knees done in one year...and hasn't looked back. Feels he has a new lease on life as far as his knees go. So I'm hoping for the same. At least I already know the routine for the physio/rehab....as well as who I want for a physiotherapist. LOL

My scoping is supposed to be day surgery. And knee replacements here are usually out in 24-36 hours barring no complications. Truly amazing.

And Ray, stick with the physio....but pain is no gain....trust me...it will set you back.

~ ps - Good choice on the Steak Pizzaiola!

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old November 11, 2014   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Zana, I'm so sorry to hear you've been suffering all this time when the surgery could have been and the pain possibly behind you! I hope it does bring you some relief until they are willing to consider replacement.

And Ray, sorry for hi-jacking your thread!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

No hijack at all. We are here to learn from each-other's experiences!

I am getting random calls trying to sell me whirlpool appliances for the tub, etc.... once they hear you are covered by Medicare.....

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Father'sDaughter

I should apologise for hijacking your thread too Raybo.

You have to wonder how they found out....not exactly keeping a lid on your privacy at the hospital if you're getting these calls??? As for the appliances...if medicare is covering it....lol.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old November 12, 2014   #13
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Best wishes for your recovery Ray. You will likely heal well.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014   #14
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear the OP went smoothly. Ami
Old November 12, 2014   #15
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad your surgery is over, Ray. It sounds as though you are doing well.
Best wishes!!! Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote