Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 14, 2013   #1
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Default Riesentraube

I knew Riesentraube means "giant bunch of grapes" in German. I didn't know why until I grew it this year. I can't wait to try a ripe one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riesentraube1.jpg (536.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Riesentraube2.jpg (521.7 KB, 83 views)
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Scott View Post
I knew Riesentraube means "giant bunch of grapes" in German. I didn't know why until I grew it this year. I can't wait to try a ripe one.
I see two of them you can eat now.
Not enough people grow this one.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #3
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I guess I have poor taste buds because I just did not care for the taste of Riesentraube. This year is my first year of growing tomatoes in many, many years and the Riesentraube plant produced a ton of good sized cherry tomatoes, but to me, they tasted somewhat bland and sour.

I'm almost afraid to mention that I grew Sun Gold F1 and was not impressed with the taste of it. It tasted good and is extremely productive, but I just can't see why so many people get so exicited over it. I will say it's the mocking birds favorite tomato.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #4
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I see two of them you can eat now.
Not enough people grow this one.

Worth
I am waiting for them to get really red. The first time I grew Sun Gold, I thought it was pretty good. It took until September before I realized how orange they were supposed to be.

Then again, if I leave it overnight, a mouse might get that red one or maybe a bird tomorrow morning....
Old July 14, 2013   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

It is at, near or over 100 degrees everyday where I live. I am picking everything at blush now. Fruit cooked on the vine hardly ever tastes good
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #6
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it for the first time this year. Thought the flavor was pretty good and there's sure a lot of them. Only problem is I've found you have to be careful when picking the ripe ones because if you move the green ones too much they'll fall off the vine.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
I guess I have poor taste buds because I just did not care for the taste of Riesentraube. This year is my first year of growing tomatoes in many, many years and the Riesentraube plant produced a ton of good sized cherry tomatoes, but to me, they tasted somewhat bland and sour.

I'm almost afraid to mention that I grew Sun Gold F1 and was not impressed with the taste of it. It tasted good and is extremely productive, but I just can't see why so many people get so exicited over it. I will say it's the mocking birds favorite tomato.

This just shows how different people have different tastebuds, also the soil and growing conditions can make a huge difference.

That said, I have read so many people saying that SunGold is not tasty to them - it is sweet, but has somewhat unpleasant lingering aftertaste.
My commercial cherry plant has beautiful fruits, but they tend to be towards sour now - too much fertilizer I suppose. Some help was needed because the leaves were so pale and yellow ... but the taste is way too strong now.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #8
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

I do pick large fruited varieties shortly after first blush, but the cherries I leave until fully ripe. I have found, in my limited experience, that cherries don't continue to ripen after picking.