Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2013   #1
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Thoughts Please - Pruning

I'm sure there are many such threads, but couldn't find one that quite addresses this question ............ (from my bil)

Quote:
The tomatoes are doing great. Well...maybe better than great. The tallest is over 4' tall. And the two Kimberley's both have green fruits. Here's today's question: I know that you said that you were not a 'pincher'. But on the indeterminates, I have been pinching off the new shoots that formed in the 'elbow' of each branch. I originally attempted to keep to 3 main stems per plant...but having missed the odd one, each plant probably now has ~4-5 main stems. But now that they are forming blossoms, each time a 'blossoom branch' forms, the main stem splits into two..or three. Since these were not in the classic leaf branch 'elbow', I have not been pinching them. But things are getting totally out of control. I have been raiding Ruth's nylons to cut into strips to tie the stems to my trellis...but she's running out!! Plus I would rather have fewer fruits that reach maturity...rather than a ton of green tomatoes. So should I be pinching some of these off?? I have attached a couple of photo's to show you what these 'stem splits' look like...
And have a look at this extreme pruning method - took pic today at a wonderful allotment garden

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1143.jpeg (97.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg pruned toms.JPG (123.0 KB, 85 views)
Old July 12, 2013   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

of course, one has to wonder if those toms grew BEFORE all that radical pruning. Perhaps the pic was taken right after the pruning???
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Some varieties seem really prone to this kind of forking- think it's called fasciation. I'm not an expert but if he really wants to keep the tomato pruned to a single vine, even these have to be thinned. I made the same mistake my first year and it's crazy how large the plant can get by the end of the season if you leave all these alone. They're generally too thick to pinch but I use a pruner and usually wait until I see which one flowers first in order to decide which fork to keep. I usually try to catch them before they get to be 8-12" long, though- not sure what happens if you prune out larger ones. JD's Special C-Tex is one that does this all the time for me so I just grow it in a cage and don't bother trying to stake it.

That IS extreme pruning! My plants have looked that sparse only in late summer/fall after I've pretty much lost the battle to Septoria!Mine are draped with shade cloth, though to protect the exposed fruits from sunscald because they're not in a greenhouse.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Not sure about timing of prune job Ed

Kath - thank you so much for this - very helpful
Old July 12, 2013   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
I'm sure there are many such threads, but couldn't find one that quite addresses this question ............ (from my bil)

Quote:
The tomatoes are doing great. Well...maybe better than great. The tallest is over 4' tall. And the two Kimberley's both have green fruits. Here's today's question: I know that you said that you were not a 'pincher'. But on the indeterminates, I have been pinching off the new shoots that formed in the 'elbow' of each branch. I originally attempted to keep to 3 main stems per plant...but having missed the odd one, each plant probably now has ~4-5 main stems. But now that they are forming blossoms, each time a 'blossoom branch' forms, the main stem splits into two..or three. Since these were not in the classic leaf branch 'elbow', I have not been pinching them. But things are getting totally out of control. I have been raiding Ruth's nylons to cut into strips to tie the stems to my trellis...but she's running out!! Plus I would rather have fewer fruits that reach maturity...rather than a ton of green tomatoes. So should I be pinching some of these off?? I have attached a couple of photo's to show you what these 'stem splits' look like...
And have a look at this extreme pruning method - took pic today at a wonderful allotment garden

TIA
Pruning varies a lot depending on the circumstances. That extreme pruning seen in the pic I don't recommend though, except as an extreme emergency response to a foliar disease. Leaves provide the photosynthesis needed to make your crop. Without leaves you'll have no crop.
So what I suggest for you, given your plants are getting out of control, is try a modified Missouri pruning. On any large side branches or suckers you want to eliminate, prune the growing tip off it so the branch terminates in either a fruiting branch (Inflorescence) or a leaf. Then continue the normal pruning of suckers you are doing now. That should get you back in control of the situation without reducing production.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #6
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Some varieties seem really prone to this kind of forking- think it's called fasciation. I'm not an expert but if he really wants to keep the tomato pruned to a single vine, even these have to be thinned. I made the same mistake my first year and it's crazy how large the plant can get by the end of the season if you leave all these alone. They're generally too thick to pinch but I use a pruner and usually wait until I see which one flowers first in order to decide which fork to keep. I usually try to catch them before they get to be 8-12" long, though- not sure what happens if you prune out larger ones. JD's Special C-Tex is one that does this all the time for me so I just grow it in a cage and don't bother trying to stake it.

That IS extreme pruning! My plants have looked that sparse only in late summer/fall after I've pretty much lost the battle to Septoria!Mine are draped with shade cloth, though to protect the exposed fruits from sunscald because they're not in a greenhouse.
Kath, I think it is time you start your picture thread. You have much to share.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote